Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you do once your plugs foul up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you do once your plugs foul up?

Been dealing with the problem of my plugs ending up wet and black. I'm not getting gas in the oil or back into the airbox. Can you do anything with the plugs once they get this wet?
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Other than replace 'em ...

You could just spritz 'em off with some carb cleaner, hit 'em with a little brush, dry 'em off and put 'em back in there.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thanks. After receiving a PM I looked at another fouled plug thread and it said the same thing so I'll start there.

Comment

I spritz em off with ether. (starting fluid)
        1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I figured out why they were flooding out and fixed that issue. Idle mix screws only seem to work at about 1/2 turn out. anything more and it floods it. Was gonna clean them but ended up just putting in a new set for grins. Ran it about 120 miles round trip today from Crockett to Nacodgoches and I've once again been reminded why I love these bikes. I think my gas mileage is down under 30 considering I wound up putting in a little over 4 gallons over the trip.

On another note, this was so far my single longest ride on this bike. Ran through dry hot weather, a rainstorm, and even in the dark on the way back. Bike couldn't have ran any better. But I do have a few notes from my trip.

My A$$ Hurts!! Definitely must get a new seat or something. Also, my open face helmet with flip down shield isn't cutting it either. Kept getting blown around and shield wanted to lift up once. Too much wind coming in for my liking. Next, ear plugs. Self explanatory. My jacket is on the way so that will help with the flying insect issue. Otherwise I'm ready for the rally in two weeks!

Comment

Too much wind

i ride year round.
            rain/snow/sleet.... even be riding when the mailman hides in his truck
            First satrted out in 1967 on a little honda then a hardley.
            Until after more than a year of riding my first XS thought that anyone with a wind shield or fairing was a wimp. Bugs, frost bite and the occsional rock or bird was just part of riding.
            I be mro the wimpy now Like my windshields and vetters big time. Only bike w/o is the hot rod...and just might put a half shield on it this year.

mro

Comment

Mro,
              I am with you there. When I got the Dragon she had the Vetter on her and I could not wait to get added clutter off of her but could not find a headlight bucket. By the time I found one I had fallen in love with the fairing and never changed it.
              Recently I found a little brother to the Dragon and after getting it running while test driving it I was re-instructed in what riding a naked bike is all about. Still don't know how it is running because I can't hear the engine over the wind noise above 40mph!
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

"I hate to say it...."

Usually once they're fouled... they're fouled.

Sure, sometimes they'll self-clean, but if one is trying to diagnose runability issues... they need to be replaced.
                Spraying them with carb cleaner and having at them with a tooth brush doesn't cut it. That will only clean the very tip area, not all the way down the insulator.
                It's always easier for a spark to travel down a "carbon track" than it is for it to jump a gap.
                Too many people spend too many days trying to troubleshoot a poorly running bike. (first thing I always do when I get there is throw in a new set of plugs and it purrs like a kitten.)
                Of course, one must then figger out why it's fouling plugs... but one can't diagnose it if the plugs are already fouled.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Still sounds like you are running very rich at the low end. Check float heights and seating. While you're in there, check the low speed jets for proper sizing. Check the mains and needle positions too.
                  John
                  Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                  '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                  '78 CB750F ( The F)
                  '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                  New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                  Then: '76 CB550K
                  '78 CB750F
                  '84 VF1100S
                  And still Looking!

Comment

I have learned the hard way, once you take the carbs off of the machine and change the floats or any other parts. You have to re-synchronize before you start dealing with the air screws. It is extremely important that all carbs are pulling the same

Comment

Working...
                    X