82 1100 Handle Bars ? & Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 1100 Handle Bars ? & Pics

I want to swap out the stock handle bars on my 82 1100 with some drag bars or maybe even cafe style. I am not sure how to do this since the stocks are independent and only have one bolt holding them in place.

Can any one help me on this? is there an aftermarket braket that is needed? If so where can I find one?

Anyone have any pics to help me decide on the style.
    "82 XJ1100 Darkness"
    K*I*S*S
    Re-jeted
    POD Filters
    SuperTrapp 4-2-1

You have the XJ, NOT the XS. The XJ has a different top for the triple tree, and WILL NOT accept "stock" type bars without a bit of work. IF you can find the top tree off of a '81 Special, you may be able to use that, but I'm not sure.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Root,

Another option I've heard folks doing is getting the handlebar clamps from an XS 650 off of Ebay, you can stick the mounting post on them down in where the XJ's bar posts fit replacing them, and then you can use the round bars!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

MY dilema

My replaced bars seem to be on a set of risers .Beware of your controls that mounted on a flatter set of bars will now have your mirrors off angle and the front master at an awkward angle . I have this challenge before me . I'm trying to find a clutch holder/mirror perch from a flatter barred XS11 and a newer style front master/brake lever holder/mirror perch either from MikesXS (not sure if they have the low fluid sensor) or another XJ (650-900) . Still searching for the fix for that one.

XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

um....

Wow...that's one sexy ride. I was thinking of Cafe Clubman bars...but now that I'm seeing yours, I might have to use the spare drag bars that I have.
          1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
          4 to 2 Exhaust
          K&N Pod Filters
          Fuel Filters
          Inline shut off valves
          Slotted Rotors
          My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
          Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

AXEL-

would yo ube able to take a close up of the handle bar mount?

Thanks
            "82 XJ1100 Darkness"
            K*I*S*S
            Re-jeted
            POD Filters
            SuperTrapp 4-2-1

Comment

Will this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m200227111415&
              "82 XJ1100 Darkness"
              K*I*S*S
              Re-jeted
              POD Filters
              SuperTrapp 4-2-1

Comment

my thing

Not sure at this point if the XS triples will work ...
                XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Progressive fork springs
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

IMHO

My guy has used the XJ triple(stripped) and added a small riser for each handlebar clamp that is on them . Not sure where these came from .
                  I would say the XS triples I looked at would NOT give you the clearance needed and not give you the option for my type of mod as they are made to accept the round bars . The XSE even has a cap that fits over both holders and acts as the upper clamp . Could be problems...

Parts diagrams at

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Parts cross ref and availablity at

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/index.php
                  XJ1100K
                  Avon rubber
                  MikesXS black coils
                  Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                  MikesXS front master
                  Progressive fork springs
                  YICS Eliminator

Comment

AXEL...

I have the exact same bike as you and I really like the look you got going.

I am new to the forum just got my bike last friday so applogize for being a little confused.

Thank you for the pictures. maybe you have a chance you could take one more from the top few looking down at the handle bars.

Still a little unsre of what to by to make this work. anyone have part numbers?

Thank you all!!!!
                    "82 XJ1100 Darkness"
                    K*I*S*S
                    Re-jeted
                    POD Filters
                    SuperTrapp 4-2-1

Comment

The XJ has an adapter for the square bars that bolts to the top of the tripple-t, item #17 on the microfiche:
                      http://idisk.mac.com/jerryfields/Public/steering.pdf

You should be able to swap in the XS round bar holders instead and make the swap from square bars to round bars; that would give you more options.

Do a search using handlebars as the search topic; many past threads on this subject!

Note: The XJ handlears are mounted on splines, making them adjustable for width and rise. Many owners are not aware of this unless the bike came with the original Owner's Manual.

There is a black plug on the inside of the handlebar risers; remove this and underneath is an allen bolt. Remove the bolt and you can slide the risers off the splines and rotate them up or down - I suggest trying 1 spline at a time - and them bolt them back in place.

To adjust the spread or width, remove the cover over the ignition key, remove the bolt holding the riser in place on the Tripple-T, and gently pull up on the bars. They are mounted on splines, so lifting them an inch or so makes them come free. Again, rotate them inward or outward 1 spline at at time to get a wider or narrower spread. Bolt back in place when you find the best position.

I found that 1 spline up and 1 spline out from stock fits me pretty well.

The adjustable bars have an advantage over the round bars in that you can try a few different combinations without having to switch bars each time. Also, no cost to try differnt bar positions.

If you really must have round bars, you can experiment with the stock set-up to get the best fit, then go shopping for round bars that most closely match the angles you end up with on the stockers. Remember, you will need a set of the round bar holders that fit into the tripple-T.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

here we go again

This is with the plastic trim piece(ignition cover) thing off .

Thanks for the nice comments guys
                        XJ1100K
                        Avon rubber
                        MikesXS black coils
                        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                        MikesXS front master
                        Progressive fork springs
                        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Just in case

Here's what I was talking about the mirror perch(s) ,front master being weird

XJ1100K
                          Avon rubber
                          MikesXS black coils
                          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                          MikesXS front master
                          Progressive fork springs
                          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Axel, I really like the look of your bike. I switched out the top triple tree clamp for an XS, then ordered some euro cafe bars and a chrome top clamp. I will finish the install tomorrow and I am now kind of curious (nervous) how my mirrors will look. I had done the hydraulic clutch mod earlier and that side mirror now seems to sit differently than the stock XJ position, so I am hopeful. I would like to find a better place for the ignition and remove the plastic ignition cover completely. Have to show off that new chrome top clamp and bars!!! Have you ever considered relocating it elsewhere on the bike? Maybe switching the ignition unit for a different one?
                            1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
                            1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Yes

Hey Thanks . I agree the plastic cover is kinda cheesey but under it isnt too pretty on my ride . I have never thought about relocating the ignition lock - maybe others have ?
                              I'm counting the days until my tank is painted (same again)so I can get out on the bare highways
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Progressive fork springs
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...