Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got it running! But idle is high?

Reviving the dead? 82 XJ1100

I have been working on this bike for a couple months on and off and triple checking everything I have done.

I have 122 mains, 47.5 pilots, and reset the idle mixture screws to what I found them at. I was careful while drilling caps so I know I didn't alter the Idle mixture screws. It was kinda wierd since they all differed quite a bit. The center carbs were 3 - 4 turns out and the outside carbs were 2 1/4 turns out.

I aquired the bike without a air box so I am forced to run pods. I haven't purchased any yet since I wanted to make sure it would run. I currently have stock exhaust but its in tough shape so I planned on putting on 4 into 1 exhaust with pods. I removed the 112.5 mains and replaced them with the 122's. I haven't put the 4 into 1 exhaust yet.

I started it tonight and the thunder rolled..... Oh yeh it was a great moment. I didn't have much time to mess with it since it is already 2:00 am and I have to work in the morning. I have read some other threads and it appears that I need to possibly turn the idle down and lean out my idle mixture screws.

This bike also sat for at least 6-10 years with no TLC. I am told by a good friend that it did run well before being parked.

I used the bread twisty method after cleaning the carbs and cleaning to no end. I also replaced the pilots with new ones 47.5. I also used my caliper to set all floats at 23 mm. That was the average I found when taking them appart.

I will try adjusting the idle knob first and then start messing with the idle mixture screws unless I hear otherwise?

Any help would be appreciated. This website has been a savior!

Thanks,

Chad

Again

Triple clean the carbs. I mean really three times. Everything that will come apart needs to be taken apart and cleaned. The most important part is the synchronization of the carbs or it will never run right.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Thanks,

The Carbs were totally stripped and cleaned more than 3 times, they are spotless inside and out. I used the bread tie method to set all butterflies the same.

The problem I have is the bike is idleing at about 5-6 k. I will try turning the main idle adjust and then move onto idle mixture screws on each carb.

Chad

Comment

Check and double check your throttle linkage before anything else. You should have free play at the grip. If you don't its hanging up somewhere, most likely at the standoff on the carbs. The cable has to have a tiny bit of slack. If it doesn't the bike will rev easlily at 5000.

If the cable is okay then go to the idle knob next, back it all the way off and see where the bike sits. Once you get idling close to normal, perform a sync. Then you can adjsut the idle screws and resync........ see this thread http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=13124
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Breadtie

method is crap and doesn't work. You must do a vacuum synch, nothing else will work. It's the ONLY way to make it idle and run right..... I probably was THE most stubborn one here and insisted that I could do it another way and after MANY tries, (which did accomplish one thing in that I can take 'em off and put 'em on real fast) I acquired a Motion Pro Mercury stick synch tool and I found I was WAY off even though I was able to get a rather good just under 2000 rpm idle. After a proper vacuum synch it will idle at around 500 - 700 rpm reliably. A major difference.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The breadtie method was never meant to be a final synch, only to get you close enough to run so you COULD do the final synch.

Comment

Working...
            X