Gas filler cap rubber seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas filler cap rubber seal?

My rubber seal s cracked like crazy and I have strong fumes eminating from my filler cap. Is this the right part? Anyone have any luck with this?

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-fuel_...ategory_id=4.1

Part #20-0036 peaks my interest. As does #20-0038.... any thoughts?
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

#20-0036 would be what you need...
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad
      #20-0036 would be what you need...
      Would that be the part I need to re-seal my gas cap in my '82 as well? When she's full and it's hot out, she sure does like to vent fumes (and drizzle a little gas out the top when parked with a full tank, too).
      "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

I don't know if this applies to your bike's problem, but we should resist the urge to overfill the tank. If the air that remains in the tank above the filler neck can not migrate to the cap, she will spew or at a minimum will waste the gas. As the fresh gas warms from the engine heat, the vapors have to expand, pushing the gas up the filler neck. Hopefully, your overflow tube is clear to dribble excess gas on the ground. It sure make for slick tires and/or boots! I am guilty of it myself...rocking the bike side to side to get more gas in, just to see it run onto the ground.

Originally posted by FSCGunslinger

Would that be the part I need to re-seal my gas cap in my '82 as well? When she's full and it's hot out, she sure does like to vent fumes (and drizzle a little gas out the top when parked with a full tank, too).
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
          I don't know if this applies to your bike's problem, but we should resist the urge to overfill the tank. If the air that remains in the tank above the filler neck can not migrate to the cap, she will spew or at a minimum will waste the gas. As the fresh gas warms from the engine heat, the vapors have to expand, pushing the gas up the filler neck. Hopefully, your overflow tube is clear to dribble excess gas on the ground. It sure make for slick tires and/or boots! I am guilty of it myself...rocking the bike side to side to get more gas in, just to see it run onto the ground.

I'm only filling to the bottom of the filler tube, that's why I think my seal may be bad (if I even still have one... I must confess I didn't think to check). I'm going to have my brother-in-law check out the seal and overflow tube.
          "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Hey Gunslinger,

The XJ's cap is different than the Specials, and there ISN'T an overflow tube, only the Standards used that feature. The Specials and XJ's have a vent, and fuel will flow out that vent all over the tank if overfilled and then left sitting in the sun to heat up and expand!

I haven't check the size of the XJ's seal, I put the MikesXS one on my Special a few years ago, was able to make it fit, but was NOT an exact OEM fit, and it showed signs of cracking/tearing recently!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Hey Gunslinger,

The XJ's cap is different than the Specials, and there ISN'T an overflow tube, only the Standards used that feature. The Specials and XJ's have a vent, and fuel will flow out that vent all over the tank if overfilled and then left sitting in the sun to heat up and expand!

I haven't check the size of the XJ's seal, I put the MikesXS one on my Special a few years ago, was able to make it fit, but was NOT an exact OEM fit, and it showed signs of cracking/tearing recently!
              T.C.
              Well hell. I guess I (or my brother-in-law) can't fill her up as much as I have been, then. If I have a better seal, though, it won't leak out the top, right?

Comment

gas cap seal

Hi, I used the Mikes XS part 20-0036 on my 1980 special, fit perfect.
                Leo
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1197cc Wiseco kit
                1978 cams
                4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
                Keihin CR33 mm carbs
                K&N individual pod filters
                TKAT fork brace

Comment

TC: How did you have to modify the seal? It seems in only has two holes, while my 79 has three mounting holes (if that's what they might be called)...
                  Corey J. Bennett
                  '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Hi Corey,
                    the the 20-0036 that I just got from MikesXS fits the cap on the Standard tank I'm painting up to install on my Special. The part does have 3 holes but WTF, I ain't gonna bother with replacing the rusted ruins I had to slot with a Dremel tool to remove. The seal snaps over the steel inner part's outer rim like a jam-jar lid and won't come off anyway.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

As I recall, it was a direct fit on my special. Has never been a problem.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                      X