Exhaust leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leaking

I am having trouble with both my mufflers leaking . I have tightened the bands as tight as I can and just can't seem to stop the leak . Has anyone had a similar problem ,what's a good fix?
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Where are they leaking at? Right at the joint between the headers and mufflers? The cross-over pipe? The mufflers tend to rust out on the bottom side towards the back where there is a weep hole for moisture and leak there. Did you feel around and see exactly where it is leaking from?

Not trying to be a smart-azz..... Pro will tell you I'm a dumb one anyway.... though no one pays him too much attention. Just trying to get more info from you.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It's leaking where the bands are at muffler/header joint .The pipes and headers are in good shape and no holes.
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Them dadgummed aftermarket exhausts....!
        Here's what ya do.
        Go to your friendly neighborhood autopart's store and buy a Muffler repair bandage thingie. It's a small roll of some plastic stuff.. red, usually.
        Anyway... pull the muffler off. Wrap the bandage ONCE around the pipe and put the muffler back on.
        Once around is the right thickness for a good seal.
        I've been doing that for years.
        Ok, I do it once and it lasts for years, but I've done that to many bikes.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I thought about some kind of muffle tape or gasket but the muffle is very tight on the header pipe .It's accually very difficult removing the muffler that's why I am very surprised it leaks. I will try a different type of band with some of that tape on th outside of the pipe .Thanks for the suggestion.
          BDF Special

Comment

I see...
            I've usually found with MAC exhaust that the muffler flange is a little bit larger than the header pipe end. Large enough to take a wrap around. There's exhaust sealer in a tube, too. Maybe a little smear...?
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Tinman - If you don't have enough gap for the tape, permatex ultra copper sealant works. Just put a ring around the inside of female part and slide the male part in. Behave Prometheus!!!
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have tried the permatex ultra copper sealant last night it's holding up well and almost all of the popping is gone now .Thanks very much.
                BDF Special

Comment

Tinman - I should have mentioned this before, but you're supposed to give the permatex 24 hours to fully cure. Sounds like it cured enough to work. I'm sure hot pipes speed-up the process
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the tip .I let it dry over night and just started it for a few min to see if it's still holding up. I waited until later this afternoon to try it out on a short trip and it's working fine.
                    BDF Special

Comment

Glad to hear its fixed but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth just in case. On my old 79 there was a slit in the bottom of the flange to allow slight compression onto the headers.
                      If the pipes weren't slid far enough onto the header you would get a small leak through the gap.

On my current 79 I'm running a Jardine 4 into 1 that was leaking at the collector. If I undo the muffler, behind the rear peg, I can easily pull it off the headers.

I decided to lossen the headers at the head. Once they were loose I was able to slide them deeper into the collector. Once they were all in good I retightend the head bolts and then rehung the muffler.

The difference is night and day!
                      Ernie
                      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

My headers slide into the mufflers about 5" I have to slide them in all the way or the back axel won't slide out if i need to remove my rear tire. .Thanks for the tip though. The pipes are still sealed nice and tight for now but still waiting to see what will happen ofter I get a few K's on it.
                        BDF Special

Comment

Working...
                        X