Charging Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Problem

Ok, I have had no charging, headlight on and off, as well as the tach on and off. Sometimes the tach works as soon as I start up, sometimes not until a few miles of riding, and sometimes not at all. The same with the headlight.
    I have put an ohm meter to the three white wires, as well as the green and brown. I'm not sure what my ohm meter is set at, but when testing a wire with 0 ohms I adjusted the meter to read 0. As a result I'm reading 2-2.3 ohms on the all the white wires, as well as the green wire. The brown reads 0 when the bike is off, and the needle pushes past 0 when the bike is on. There is no change in the white wires or green wire when the bike is either on or off. Whos got some answers for me. So far I have heard the generator and possibly the voltage regulator.

Thanks for the help.

test

You could try this test: Tap into the green wire coming from the alt. and attach to ground. This will by-pass the regulator section of the regulator/rectifier. Check for charging with a volt meter at the battery terminals. I've actually run my Standard like this for almost a year (bad regulator), without any ill effects other than overcharging (drying out) the battery. HTH.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

charging problem

If you have no voltage in the generator wires; 3 white and 1 yellow(or green), you probably need a new unit. I bought one from ebay for about $75 about 6 months ago and it has voltage in it and resistance in it when off the bike.
      It came with cover, both coils and wires. The new stator alone costs $200.00.
      [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Hi there bbaldwin84

Check out Geezers web site.
        Good info on checking charging system and he has an XSellant reg/rectifier unit too.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/FAQ.html

mro

Comment

Working...
        X