Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I road worthy...well...neighborhood worthy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I road worthy...well...neighborhood worthy??

Alright XSives! I HOPEFULLY have finished (lol) my XS! Here's a quick rundown of what I did and still plan to do. PLEASE add anything you think I'm missing!!! I am a NEWBIE to bikes and the XS, but I think this could be helpful for other newbies.

Did the triple clean on the carbs. Haven't synched them or color tuned or any of that stuff...she runs and idles high, but she runs. I plan on doing that shortly.

Added inline filters and shut off valves.

Changed the square to round headlight...looks GREAT!!

Removed the exhaust to change the rear tire to a special's because mine's flat and I'm impulsive. Again...looks AWESOME!! BTW to do this conversion you NEED the bracket from the special otherwise things won't fit. Dunno if anybody has tried this or wants to, but that's just a tip. Newbie tip??? lol

Changed the oil to Mobil 1...but will probably change it back to dino juice so I dont get any leaks (I read old gaskets are prone to them with synthetic) and checked the brake fluid (looked good).

Cleaned EVERY electrical connection by stripping the bike to the frame practically.

Still need a speedo. I'm trying to find a special set up. If anybody has a special speedo, I would gladly take that as I have a special Tach already.

That's about it. I noticed I have a 1/4 inch space by the rear axle (I'm not missing a spacer...there's just space) and wanted to know if a washer from home depot will work.

Does anybody know the inspection requirements in Texas? I want to get the title put in my name this week so I can start riding!! Well...let me know your thoughts and what I need to do next. It's 2:38a and I need to wake up by 6a. I think this was my first night being an XSive.

I'll post pics tomorrow...I'm too tired and she's already in bed. She's beautiful...
    1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
    4 to 2 Exhaust
    K&N Pod Filters
    Fuel Filters
    Inline shut off valves
    Slotted Rotors
    My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
    Non-gasoline conversion

I believe that space is normal, do a quick search for rear axle spacer and you will find a few threads discussing this issue. I just had one earlier this month.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

spacer

Thanks for the tip. It was really late when I posted and finished and I REALLY didn't feel like searching for anything other than my pillow.

Am I forgetting anything else guru's?

For those that have "broken free" some stuck clutches...does the bike jump out when you put it in first? I'm taking her out on her first run around the neighborhood today and just want to know what to expect. THANKS!!
      4 to 2 Exhaust
      K&N Pod Filters
      Fuel Filters
      Inline shut off valves
      Slotted Rotors
      My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Austin - When I first unstuck my clutch it didn't 'jump-out' in first, but it did need to be adjusted. The way I check the adjustment on mine is this - Unscrew the cable adjuster at the handlebar, unscrew the locking nut at the clutch housing and back the phillips head screw out about one turn. Turn it back in until resistance is felt then back it out 1/4 turn and tighten the locking nut while holding a screwdriver on the adjuster screw. Retighten the cable adjuster leaving 1-2mm of slack. I then start it and make sure it will go into nuetral while idleing at 1000 rpm's with the clutch in. If the bike jumps when I put it in gear I readjust until it doesn't. Had to do it four times before I got it just right after I installed a new clutch.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Procedure

Thanks dbeardslee for the explanation of the clutch adjustment. I took off the clutch cover plate...scratched my head...then put it back on because I didn't want to screw anything up.

I'll tinker with it before I ride today. Wish me luck!

Oh yeah...awesome mods to your bike! I want to put speed bleeders when I change pads and front rotors and eventually add an oil cooler.
          4 to 2 Exhaust
          K&N Pod Filters
          Fuel Filters
          Inline shut off valves
          Slotted Rotors
          My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Austin - Save the old bleeders 'cause you may still need them. I rebuilt my master cylinders and drained the old fluid out of my calipers while I was at it. Had a heck of a time bleeding them like that with the speed bleeders on even with a power bleeder. Put the old ones back in an power-bled them, then put the speed bleeders back in and finished the job. What they're really great for is changing the fluid when the lines are already bled. You just open 'em a little and keep pumping the brakes and refilling the reservoir until nothing but clean fluid comes out. Takes two minutes.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

clutch adjustment

a little tip i found when screwing the little screw in was to just use your fingers on the shaft of the screwdriver. back it out then screw it in with two fingers on the shaft of the screwdriver. you'll feel the resistance better.

if you got it already cool. i had some trouble figuring out when it was resisting that's how i figured it out, two fingers aren't as strong as the whole hand gripping.
              1979 xs1100 special
              1976 xs650 [in the process of getting a new motor]
              2006 ural gear up

Comment

Let me know what you do to get the title put in your name. I need one as well for my XS, the guy I bought it from bought it from a shop that someone abandoned after getting the carbs redone.

Is an inspection even required on a bike this old in TX?
                '07 Virago
                '80 XS11G
                '78 XS11E
                '97 Grand Prix GTP
                '99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

The State O' Texas requires a safety inspection on our bikes, but not an emissions test, even here in the good ol' smoggy Metroplex. It costs less tha $15. I can't help you with the title, but there is a way to apply for a lost title. Go to the shop that it was left at and ask if they placed a mechanics lien on it. That would be a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                  X