Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New '80 SG, Wow what a ride

Hello all--

Just recently bought a '80 sg with 52,000 miles on it. It needed mostly cosmetic work: paint, polish aluminum, etc. I also went through and did all the tuneup work on it. It ran well. I removed the air box and installed pods, then jetted the mains to 125's across the board. This thing runs like no tomorrow. I pulled plugs and everything is A-ok. I was surprised that it could take that much fuel at my altitude (5-6000 ft) but it colors well. The valve train and everything else is in good shape. I painted it blue metal flake, and removed the tank badging and upgraded the look a little. I also want to get rid of the stock bars--yuk.
    But the proof is in the pudding. I took her out for the first long trip today. We had a very loud guy in our group (riding a 1700 Vulcan) ragging me about my 29 year old bike, and wondering if it could keep up, etc. This went on all day, until we were pulling a mountain pass to about 6200 feet. I saw him coming on strong in the mirror for an I-told-you-so flyby. I twisted the thing on the RH handlebar, and did not let him get within a quarter mile of me--BEHIND! I must admit I broke the law to do it, but his disappintment in his Vulcan was further compounded by the fact that I had my wife on the back, too! Then I knew that I had found a winner.
    Great Bike!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Welcome aboard, t71. As you have discovered, you've come across a great ride. These old classics can still hold their own with a lot of newer, fancier, much more expensive bikes.

SWMBO and I have been down your way a couple times, most recently to the rally hosted by Rockjock at the KOA campground at the hotsprings. I don't remember how many bikes we had in for that one, but we had a great time soaking in the pools, getting some nice local rides, and cruising in to town for a great cappuccino. I've probably posted some photos somewhere from that rally, but may have to go searching for them again. Got a great one of the pig roast that turned out to be a major highlight of that particular trip. Loho, Rockjock, any of this ringing a bell with you?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: New '80 SG, Wow what a ride

Originally posted by t71ford
      I had my wife on the back, too! [/B]
      How are your ribs? I can picture her punching you in the ribs screaming, "SLOW DOWN!!!!!"

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

yes we all had that wow! experience
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If any of you are ever through the area, let me know you are coming. It would be great to ride with any other enthusiasts. I would love to get to Revelstoke, but more for the sledding I'm afraid. It is good down here but unbelievable up there.

And, to be perfectly honest, my wifeactually begs to go faster. she bores quickly with the 650 twins in the group. I don't know how that worked, it was her first bike ride ever. Just lucky, I guess...Now if I could get her to be as enthusiastic about spending money on it...
          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My wife rode on the back of a motorcycle for the first time last summer. At first, I couldnt go much over 45. Now, I can lean into a 45 mile per hour curve at 60 and she barely hangs on. Its nice to have a threesome with no jealousy issues.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You will find a great group of riders here and a wealth of information too.

And yes, we all have had that thrilling feeling when you turn that thing on the RH handlebar

In fact, the thrilling feeling never seems top go away.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
              X