EnHeadlighten Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EnHeadlighten Me

I picked up another 80Special this week and it has some issues.
    Duhhhhhh!
    Anyway the headlight doesn't come on,no reserve light either.I found the threads here on rlu bypass.I did that with no luck.I found the headlightlight relay.When I disconnect the relay and jump r/y & blu/blk I have light when I turn ingition switch on.
    Would this mean the diode is bad or actually the relay?
    Also can I run temporarily with it jumped for a couple of days till I get the part or will it burn something up?
    Any suggestions would be helpfull .
    Thanks. Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

headlight

When I bought my 79 Special, the headlight wire had been jumped as you described, and I've been running it that way for 2 years now with no problems. Key on = headlight.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks bikerphil.
      Great,I was hoping I could do that .
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey BikerPhil and Tarzan,

Slight problem being overlooked here! The headlight won't come on IF there isn't any charging going on, if the diode line to the starter relay isn't getting any juice, then it won't latch the relay! Bypassing the RLU and the Headlight Relay got the headlight to work, but proper diagnostics were not done first!

You need to check the charging system to make sure it's putting out the required 14.5 volts at 2500+ rpm, if it's still at 12 or LESS then that WAS The problem with the headlight, not necessarily the RLU and relay!

IF it's not charging, you won't be running it for very long!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It seems to charge.The bike had been just sitting since last year sometime.The battery was low when we dragged it home so I charged it.And it hasn't had any problems starting and running and all the other lights and stuff seem to work. Even rode it about 10 miles to see how it rides.But your right maybe it hasn't run long enough to wear the battery down. I,ll check the output voltage to see if it is working.I definitely need to make sure it works.I hate standing on the side of the road with a helmet in my hand watching traffic wiz by LOL.
          Thanks for the wisdom Tc
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

charging

Also a simple test: If tach is working, charging system is operating. Still test with a volt meter.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Yea you were right on.There is no tach and there is no charging.
              Now the fun starts.trying to figure out what is actually wrong.I read another post that says it is rarely the alternator itself.So I will go through all the connections first and check everything along the way.I can also swap some parts off my other one too
              since everything works on it,and maybe that will help eliminate some componants.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I've found more times than not, that charging issues can be traced back to the connection behind the fuse box plate that has the three white wires from the alt. I've even seen them melt into a big glob from the extra resistance of the corroded terminals.
                1980 XS 1100 Standard
                1980 XS 1100 Special
                1982 XJ 1100
                1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

I'll pull the fuse panel off tomorrow.That would be great if thats the problem.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Well, I pulled the fuse panel and the three white wire connector had a melted part.So I replaced the connector with butt connectors.
                    I then tested votage at batt.it is11.8.I checked the regulator as described in another thread.Then started engine and Then grounded the green wire.Then put pos. wire to brown and tach started to work and headlightlight came on.Also voltage started going up.So it looks like the regulator.
                    Can anyone tell me if any regulator off any XS11 will work?I'm looking on ebay and want to make sure of interchangability first.
                    80 SG XS1100
                    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

reg.

95% sure all 78-81 XS are the same.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Thanks .I'll go to ebay and find one.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey Tarzan,

Check out the Parts FOR SALE FORUM, the STICKY THREAD and look for GEEZER's Reg/Rect...yeah, it'll be a bit more than what you will find on the Bay, but it'll be guaranteed to work, and will be stronger than the OEM's, and have a lifetime guarantee! But it's your money...but with an old OEM one, no telling how long it'll last, or even if it'll be in working order!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip TC,I bought this bike as a favor for a friend who is suppose to pay me for it in two weeks.My XS runs good.So I dont want to put a lot into his until he pays me, so for now I'm going the cheap way.I could ,I suppose, end up with both bikes but I doubt it.(A man could have worse problems than owning two SG's . LOL)
                            I'm watching three regulators right now.I'm waiting for the opportune moment to scoop one up.But it looks like I can get one for fairly cheap.Wish me luck.
                            Thanks. Rick
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                            X