Jet sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray-
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I am setting the float level when the carbs are upside down with the bowls off, wouldn't that mean that a bigger measurement=less fuel in the bowl when right side up because the actual bottom of the floats would then be closer to the bottom of the bowl and therefore not let as much fuel into the bowl before the float needle seated?
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

Should have mentioned that my floats are now at 23mm vs. 27mm before I went through the carbs.
      '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

Mike,

I think you are correct, the higher the number on your float the leaner it will run. So 23mm should be richer then 27mm. If the stumble wasn't there when they were at 27mm, maybe you want to try to go up a few mms from 23. (I know, I know, its a pita pulling, adjusting, putting together, test riding, lather, rinse repeat, yada, yada, yada)
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

That's just it...stumble WAS there prior to pulling them. I don't have a problem doing it...I just want to know if what I'm doing is a step in the right direction.
          '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

You said:
            '80 XS1100SG (mine)
            So... Go back to basic settings:

Stock airbox, K&N drop-in, and 4-1 spaghetti pipes should run pretty good on a stock set of carbs. Middle of the range for 80 floats, 110 to 120 mains (although 115 or less would be my choice), floats at 23 mm [.925" (lean) to .886" (rich)]. 42.5 micuni 6-hole pilot jets, 185 air jets, 300X2 nozzles, and jet needles without washers on them.

Make sure that the slides are not sticking. Compress a slide up, hold your thumb over the oval hole and make sure it holds pretty well. Then release and watch the slide drop without sticking.

You might then evaluate your plugs for adjustments (mains if she levels off at 100 mph, and raising float fluid levels if lean at mid and low range. Keep in mind that your exhaust system must be tight or all bets are off! Also, synching must be done at near idle speed and manifold to carb joints can not leak.
            Last edited by skids; 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The whole complexity of jetting is why I decided to go with the Dial-A-Jet system. That system is external and can deliver up to 15% addition fuel when needed and can be adjusted to 5 pre-set delivery options.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
              X