Brass float repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass float repair

Well got some carb rebuild kits and decided to put them in, hoping to get rid of the 3500 stumble I've been having before going to blessing of the bikes this weekend.
    Found a float that had a hole in it so I decided to try and solder it up. Soldering is not something I'm great at but I can usually get an ok looking functional joint.

Anyways big mistake, first the stupid float fell off the arm, then after fixing that I had more leaks where the two halfs go together then I started with. Messed with it for a while longer and gave up. Went to the store and got a little jb-weld. now its all stuck back together but... well lets just say its buoyancy is somewhat compromised by all the JB-weld.
    Just to let any would be solderers know, skip it unless your an expert, just plug the hole with the very least amount of JB-weld possible.

Any one know how floaty a float needs to be to shut off the gas flow. I know I'll need to adjust it differently then the other three but I'm really hoping to still be able to make it this weekend.

And yes, I've already ordered (4) new plastic floats from Mikesxs, Anyone who's replaced their brass for plastic want to give me an Idea where I should start for float height when I get em.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Might want to set up a rig where you can check the actual fuel level in each bowl. That you'll know if the floats are set right.

Here's some tips,

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
    X