Rear axle spacer free-play explained (I think),

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle spacer free-play explained (I think),

Posted this to the specific thread I had started but itmight be useful and visible to more folks if posted in a separate thread. As usual, all the great ideas and thoughts from you guys got me to look further into my situation and I think I got it figured out.

Hello guru's and such, I got the bearing seating question figured out.

The left side bearing has a removeable center sleeve that the axle runs in. The spacer butts up against this sleeve since it is effectively and literally the center race of the bearing if my terminology is correct.

Therefore, when reassembling everything there is naturally a bit of free-play until the wheel is tightened when mounting on the bike.

I did tap the left bearing inner sleeve lightly to snug things up before putting the outer sleeve and the seal back on. The left side bearing was snug as a bug in a rug, and seated fully as was the right side bearing I just put in.

In a nutshell, unless your left side bearing is very different than what this bike has, I think this is the method the system uses to make sure things get snugged up when tightening the wheel.

(The front wheel does not have a removeable inner sleeve per-se on either bearing, so this won't apply to the front necessarily).

That is why there may or may not be some looseness in the spacer depending on how you put everything together, or how you took it apart.

Make sense? Mystery solved? Anything I missed?
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462
Working...
X