Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo and Tire Repair

Hi all,

1. My speedo is making quite a whine at any speed over 20kph. Are there any lube points I might try, or could a cable do this. The unit functions well.

2. I found a tire repair plug in my front tire in one of the grooves about a half inch off centre line. Its a newish (bummer) Spitefire with low miles - I just missed it until now. I tought it was a piece of tar when I first saw it - definitely a plug. My understanding is that these things are temporary fixes and I should get a new tire. Correct?

Thanks Steve
    1980 Special

You can always check if it is the cable by removing it from the sheath and going for ride. If the noise dissappears then its caused by the cable or speedo. If its still there its probabley the gears at the front wheel see http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=speedo

If it is gone then try to spin the speedo with a drill. If the speedo itself is noisy you'll have to lube the internals. Not too hard to do. There are a few posts about how to do it.

If its not the speedo then either the cable is dry or going. Have look at it, if it seems okay then just oil it and put in back in.

I personally don't like tire plugs of any sort, but have no knowledge of whether they can be used long term.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Tire plug CAN be OK, but if it was my bike I WOULD put a patch on the inside. You would then need to re-balance the tire. I've been lucky so far, and have just replaced tires as they get too many miles on them.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Remove the cable from the speedo drive, and then ride the bike. if noise persists, thewn you need to remove, disassemble, clean, & lube the drive. Mine was making a horrible squawk a few months ago, and it turned out to be just that.

Comment

Working...
        X