CARB Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARB Suggestions

ok, so i am in need of replacing my carbs, what do you guys think are good carbs to use and easy to do the swap.....almost plug and play as far as the diameter on the intake manifold side....

I have some 82XJ carbs on my other bike......dunno i need the pool of input here.
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

carbs

BS34-11 carbs (78-79) seem pretty easy to tune. The front side of both types are the same size. I've never messed with the BS34-111 carbs (80-81) before. The latter designed to control emissions more?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

emissions=bad...lol
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Hey Genius,

Check out some recent threads by AE7F and others looking for alternatives to the old XS11's carbs, like newer GIXER carbs and such. The newer style of XS carbs, 80-81 don't have as easily adjusted vacuum slide needles, but their float vents are in the inlet bell, plastic floats with rubber tipped float needles, but also rubber O-ringed needle seats, small pilot screws inside the front top pilot screw towers vs. easier access external screws. The vacuum slide diaphragms are more easily and cheaply obtained than the 78-79 series.

I can't remember what's wrong with the ones you have?? Many times it's more a matter of proper cleaning to get them working right!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC....well my mixture screw tips broke off and were stuck...and i mean stuck in the holes....i tried all the tips to get the broken needle pieces out but not go, as a last resort and not thinking clearly after a long day at work i got a micro drill bit thinking its brass and it will come out easy, well alumium is just as soft as brass. needless to say it is impossible to drill percisly on the hole....................shoot me now.

well the carbs that were on the bike are the 79 mikuni's and the only nimber i found was "135" located in the butterfly's

I have another set that i talked a guy into throwing in with my dads KZ1000 when we bought it and they are mikuni's with "130" on the butterfly's........then I have the 82XJ carbs which im not sure of any numbers on them.....The XJ is at my other shop with the 66' Galaxie.

Then there is my latest perposal of diffrent carbs from another bike........

what do ya think
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Well,

The XJ carbs will fit and work, easy there, just possible rejetting! The other's with the KZ, don't know....but if they appear similar, you could try taking them off of their bracket and putting them on the busted pilot jets bracket to try to get the proper spacing. Just measure their mounting OD first to make sure they will fit into the intake boots!

Ben/AE7f likes his later Gxr carbs due to easier to find parts, etc.! I like my 81's just fine! YMMV!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I already measured and am starting the process of mounting them on the xs plates......i am going to check the jet sizes tho because i am a 4-1 and pod filters
              -Pod Filters
              -4-1 pipe
              -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Carb Suggestions

I feel your pain dude. When I tryed to drill mine out I used a 1/32 flat end carbide mill. That worked fine for the first one, but the second two had some of the needle sticking up above the walls of the needle seat. That means tthe mill just walked off the brass and into the aluminum. I'm guessing that happened to you. I'm having a friend drill and ream a broken needle for a 1/8 hole and am going to use that for a guide. I'll let you know how that works.
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.
                Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

I had a set of the 81 carbs on my 79...bike didn't like them as much as the original 79 carbs. Mind you I never rejetted the 81's.
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Here's a thread for you

Different models of carbs

I used FJ1200 for my search because I know a few members here have been very happy with the swap... and I think they will fit with little to no modification...
                    If you go that route... you might have good luck finding some in the Legends forums since they use the FJ1200 engines for their cars...
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

I had a set of the 81 carbs on my 79...bike didn't like them as much as the original 79 carbs. Mind you I never rejetted the 81's.
                      Funny... I have tested several sets of 70's on my 81 and they just don't seem to perform as well
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

egsols and 81xsproject

both of your comments make since because if i remember right the 78-79 have larger cams than the 80's and the jetting would be diffrent for both bikes pending on the volume flow into the cyclinders.........81xs did you rejet yours? i knoe egsols didn't.

hrmmmmm
                        -Pod Filters
                        -4-1 pipe
                        -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Working...
                        X