Just got an XS11!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got an XS11!!!

Hi everyone, I'm a new owner of a 1980 XS1100SG, only 17,000 miles. After reading some posts for a couple days I have a few questions on getting my xs running perfect before I take it out of the garage. First off, my dad has 2 sets of 2003 softail pipes, one stock and one screamin eagle, I think fatboy and softail pipes are the same( anyone know for sure?). Just wondering if I will have to adjust the carbs once I switch pipes. If yes what will I need to do? If no, does anyone know how to adjust my carbs to be perfect? I think they need to be adjusted anyway. haha Also, after it warms up and I shut it off, its a little hard to start, it tends to turn over a little hard and usually dosen't start till the second or third rotation, I was told it was a timing issue(not crank). Any helpers would be greatly appreciated.

Nature of the Beast

I think that hot starting issue is normal .
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

the restart issue sounds normal to me .. my xj is the same way .. 2/3rd rotation ... best advice and the pipes.. have a wrench do it .. if your carbs need tuneing anyway you might as well kill 2 kids with one car .. so to speak ... besides .. it should be gone thru to be sure anyway .. just cause you dont see it doesnt mean it aint gonna happen ... and usually at the worst time .. so spend a little now and save alot in june .. good luck .. thats my input.. it may not be right .. but you cant interupt me while i type .. so... HA !!! you gotta listen !!
      82 XJ 1100 .. " Da Sqirrel Mobile

Dear God man !! what are you doing with that squirrel ?!!!!

Seriously... I'm not happy ..till You're not happy

Comment

I was told by my stepdad...who is a bike builder.. that if I take the cover off the left side(which has all the timing components) and loosen three small screws which hold the outer ring in place, and turn it until I find the "sweet spot" it should fix the issue. I just don't kno which way to turn it, or how much I should turn it inorder to find that spot..... sorry for sounding so ignorant.

Comment

synch and color-tune

I could start to advise you to synch and color-tune but with the added variable of different pipes its a whole new ball game
          How does it run now with the stock exhaust ? I'm sure synch and color-tune is a good place to start to have it running half -descent before you modify your exhaust and possibly get into re-jetting .
          Use the search function above to read posts on different topics.
          Cheers
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Progressive fork springs
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Well I'll be doing it all this coming weekend, not sure how much my stepdad will help, but I would like to have an idea of what I'm gonna do b4 I tackle it. Im capable of doing it myself, I was just wondering if anyone had some stock settings for the carbs, and any tips on switching pipes.

Comment

if you never ask ..you'll never learn .. and who you callin ignorent ?!! I got a DADDY !!! .. i'm not a tech guy.. so i cant help you with that ..but someone will.. this site and these folks are great.. cept for me ..i'm just weird..in that kreepy check his basement for fresh dirt mounds kinda way ..

Comment

To be clear I'm only switching mufflers, not headers. will I have to re-jet, if so what size? Thanks

Comment

synch please

UUHhh. Later models dont have adjustable timing . If yours does - does your Dad have a timing light ? No stock carb settings that I know of . Our bikes need to be synched often ,6months -Iyear for optimum performance .Color-tuning puts the icing on the cake . Darn near impossible to go by ear on these baby's .
                  Synching requires carb sticks or a morgan Carbtune II or similiar.
                  I wouldnt worry about timing at this point
                  XJ1100K
                  Avon rubber
                  MikesXS black coils
                  Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                  MikesXS front master
                  Progressive fork springs
                  YICS Eliminator

Comment

i did not have too .. unless your changeing heads .. i dont think its an issue

Comment

DO NOT adjust the timing UNTIL you have the carbs set up!! The 1980 with only 17K should NOT need any timing adjustment. These are NOT HD, close is good machines.
                      If the stock mufflers are good, you will have MORE power if you leave them on! IF you want a little more noise, you may be able to mod the mufflers a little bit. Noise does NOT make you safe from cage drivers. They CANNOT hear the motorcycle until it is beside them. I know a few HD riders that think the open pipes make them safe, and they are hit all the time here in California.
                      Read through the "tech tips" from the main page, and you will learn how to do most of the work needed. PM me if you want some ideas on raising performance without a lot of work or money.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Where in MA?

Customaxe and I are here too, along with Rikosaur. We have a couple of others just over the border. Might be hooking up for a ride-so let us know...
                        You will find that these are nothing like HD. If your stepdad is an HD mechanic type, you will do better to get a manual and anything you start, put a question up here before you begin. The manual has the specs, these guys have the know-how. The manual only goes so far. My Old Man knows harley in his sleep and this bike confuses him. I tell him to sit down and rest now-I got it under control...
                        Good luck with the new bike!
                        80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                        79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

thanks

I would def be up for a ride. I live in Southbridge, but I'll be in the hudson area all weekend. My stepdad has pretty much worked on every engine from cars and bikes, to helicopters and jets, hes rediculous. He has like 3 patents, his main job is at a metal fab place but his love is bikes. Right now hes about to start building an engine that runs off the polarity of magnets. Come on y and checkout the customs if your in the area. my number is 774-922-4012 and the name is Brad.

Comment

Re: thanks

Like hanging a magnet from a fishing pole? (I am kidding of course, but that would be the mentality of one of my inventions).

Originally posted by bbaldwin84
                            Right now hes about to start building an engine that runs off the polarity of magnets.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Southbridge, that ain't far...

Cool. I'm sure 'axe will be around. That guy...He's great.
                              I don't know when I'll be up and running...I'm hoping for next week...Depends on if I end up swapping engines or just heads.
                              Will let you know if we're all hooking up to ride. There are some great spots up this way, and Laconia is looming on the horizon.
                              Nothing better than an XS group to make an appearance.
                              Enjoy your new ride.

Carolyn
                              80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Working...
                              X