New tank - seal or not to seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tank - seal or not to seal?

In my quest to restore my '78 Std. I have to replace my old rusty tank (beyond repair). I was able to find a new tank on e-bay, even had the packing material on it, macho maroon, never been used. Is it worth the effort to seal this tank while new, before I use it? Or would that be a waste of time/money given that the tank should last quite a while? Kreem? Any advice to this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Chuckster
    Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

I'd think it could go either way...

does it have any rust in the tank from moisture during the time it's been stored? or is it still pretty clean?

Sometimes, if not prepped properly, the Kreem lining can come loose and cause some fuel problems... If you have experience with it... no biggie then, I don't think it would hurt to seal it before use... but if you don't have the experience and it's a clean tank... I don't think I'd do it until (if) it needs it...

If it's rusty, you might want to consider cleaning and then possibly sealing...

My $.02
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

i concure with WK .. if you dont know how to do it ... don't .. but i would ... just because i'm like that .. and a year from now it will come back to bite me and i'll be VERY CRANKY !!
      82 XJ 1100 .. " Da Sqirrel Mobile

Dear God man !! what are you doing with that squirrel ?!!!!

Seriously... I'm not happy ..till You're not happy

Comment

There's no rust on the inside at all. I was only thinking of being preventive, but if there's any risk to doing it, I'll leave it alone. It's not like I don't have other things to work on. Thanks for the advice.
        Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Comment

ive always been a fan of spending 50 now to save 500 later .. if its clean .. i wouldnt be too worried bout it ..
          82 XJ 1100 .. " Da Sqirrel Mobile

Dear God man !! what are you doing with that squirrel ?!!!!

Seriously... I'm not happy ..till You're not happy

Comment

I'm still running a '79 tank that has NOT been "creamed". As I don't liked the idea of getting creamed, I won't do it to the tank unless ABSOLUTELY needed. If it's in new condition now, and you use it and keep the gas fresh, or store properly if you live in that part of the world, it should last for 40 or 50 years.
            JMHO
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I got mine done at the local radiator repair shop. Don't know exactly what the coating was but it cost $100 and is guaranteed not to let the inside rust. I could find out what it's called if you want, but I would get it done as a preventative measure.
              It sounds like you got a good deal why not protect it.
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

If it ain't broke.... don't fix it. Keep it full of gas when sitting and it will likely outlast you. A tank sealer is something I'd only do if I absolutely HAD to.

BUT... if you're the type of person that puts Bars Leaks in their vehicle's radiator before any sign of corrosion "Just in case".... By all means... if that is what would give you peace of mind.

If the stuff worked all the time every time... I'm sure some bike brands would put it in there at the factory.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a local radiator shop in my area, I can call and find out if they seal tanks, what they use, etc. That's a good option, I will check it out. It sounds much safer than doing the Kreem myself.
                  Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Comment

When Kreem goes bad

Hi Chuckster,
                    I got me a Standard tank to go on my Special. It had been "Kreemed" inside by someone who didn't know how to follow the instructions that came with the Kreem kit. Especially the part about cleaning the rust out first. Peering in through the filler hole there's sheets of Kreem hanging loose and it looks like it was applied directly on top of existing rust. Well, 2 gallons of "economy lacquer thinner"and six feet of chain dumped into the tank followed by four days turning & shaking it and all this nasty lumpy brown muck came pouring out and she's a lot cleaner now. Fill your nice clean tank with gas and be happy.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Like fred and trbig said, if its clean inside keep it that way by filling with fresh fuel. If you ever have to leave it for an extended time you can always drain the fuel and put in a bit of motor oil (then swish it around to coat everthing) I'm not the biggest fan of tank coatings either.

If its used and looked after it should give you many, many years.
                      Ernie
                      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

I absolutely agree with the leave-it alone crowd. I had Kreemed my tank only because it needed it, have done quite a few over the years so I know how to do it properly. Beware, the ketone part of the Kreem kit will remove the paint from your new tank quicker than a tornado through a trailer park.

Comment

tank

if you keep your tank full you will never have a problem .
                          bill
                          bill hane

Comment

Kr-ap-eem........ahem

The first step in Kreem is removal of surface metal by way of HCl....don't do it. kreem is outdated tech. the good radiator shops use a liquid polypropylene polymer that is second to none. You can get it from Johnson's (tank liner).It is a pretty blue when cured and even resists alcohols.....I have done 2 tanks so far and still have enough in the can to do another.
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock
                            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I side with Snowdog and others. Clean with electolysis and keep full. Liners are just future problems.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X