Oil Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Temp Gauge

Do you guys think somthing like this could work? Perhaps in the oil fill hole?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-C...QQcmdZViewItem

If it has been designed for a Harley the XS might reject it like a bad liver transplant.

Serioulsy though, I have seen gauges made for the oil fill/dipstick holes specifically for Japanese models. But I think they were all overseas.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

It's an excellent, superb idea, in my opinion, except, from the looks of it in the pic, I'd guess that the tube-stick would not reach the earl. And the push-in neoprene part looks to be too large size for the XS oil hole (?) Altho, that could be "re-modded". To rig up an oil temp gauge, somewhere on my machine, has definitely been on my agenda. And an oil pressure gauge.
      Not sure if the stick would be a good enough miss from clutch basket, and still be down in a big enough pool of oil to get the job done.
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

The Yamaha parts book in '78 used a VDO oil temp. It was electric, so it replaced the oil drain plug with the sending unit, and a single wire clipped on. Worked really well on my original bike.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"on the '78s"........and electric. Good to have that info.
          JCarltonRiggs

Comment

My Bagger has an electric oil temp gauge in it. The sender is mounted in the oil drain plug.
            I'll bet you could go to an auto parts store, and be able to source a gauge with metric treads on the sender and bushing.

Comment

John; what temp range do you get with different ride conditions?
              JCarltonRiggs

Comment

I have seen it get up to 220 after a long ride. It also has an oil pressure gauge, and I have noticed that the oil pressure will drop from about 60 PSI to 20 PSI after it heats up also.

Comment

Well ...

I have one of those that came with one of my XSs ... kinda' hard to read while riding but it does register
                  80G Mini-bagger
                  VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                  79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                  79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

OK; I appreciate the number(s) input.
                    JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Mine was done before I bought the bike, and the swivel bracket is mounted to the upper tree somehow, and the gauge sits just below the handlebars. It is a pretty slick install actually. The light in it works, and is easy to see.

Comment

Here's some pics of the gauges

Oil temp gauge from the front

Oil temp gauge from side

The gauge on the lower left is the Voltmeter, the Oil pressure on on the lower right.

Comment

I also have VDO oil temp and pressure gauges but the senders are installed in a T that I put in the line to the oil cooler.
                          72 TS185
                          77 XS750
                          78 SR500
                          80 XS850
                          80 XS1100 Midnight Special
                          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Working...
                          X