Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS11SG running perfect 90% of the time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi TC,
    your majic fingers slowing down?
    I actually beat you posting for once

mro

Comment

Hey MRO,

Must be that time/space variance from east to west?

But you'll notice that I typed a bit MORE than you, but we both hit on the same ideas!

When I was talking about Prom's ~3500 posts, I checked post counts, and YOU are actually posting at a HIGHER rate/frequency than us, close to 4 posts a day this year!!

As I said in the other 7K thread, it's ALL of you folks that make this site work, keep up the good job!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

check your pickup wires

Unclespot,,,,same thing happened to my xs1100 MNS,,,,I cleaned the carbs five times, checked everything and it was the pickup wires under the left cover. An easy fix,,,,to check run your fingers up and down and you can feel the wire change size. Or when running pull gently with needlenose pliers in various spots and it will die or run like crap. Hope that is it,,,again pull off left cover and check. An easy 20 minute fix,,,,,,let us know, Mike in san diego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

So many times I am seeing people with this same problem and the solutions are never the same! Mine Is STILL doing the same thing. I can get 10 to 20 miles and it sputters backfires and dies. I too cleaned my carbs multiple times! Which is a pain when you are still using the OEM airbox!
          I just put in coils and went for a ride. Still did it! I'm now carrying a variety of tools to diagnose the problem when it happens. New plugs, volt meter, wrenches, pliers, and my 44 mag so I can put it down if it gets too bad.
          I'll try the wires like suggested because I know mine looses spark when it warms up. Cold it is fine, but at running temp I loose spark.
          PS, I just bought this bike a few months ago and if it wasn't for the help on this site I wouldn't still have it. You all give me hope I can have a good running bike soon.
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          1983 Honda Shadow 500 (profit project)
          1986 Honda Shadow 500 (wife's)

Comment

Similar problem

I had like problems and it took a long time to find the problem. It turned out that it only happened at less than 1/4 tank of gas. The petcock towers have very small holes in the screen and over the years the drying of fuel there left a deposit of red varnish and when I removed them I discovered that the fuel in the towers would not come out unless I shook or tapped them. After using some carb cleaner to clean the tower screens the problem has not surfaced again....
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

My first XS kept doing that on my first trip, got ticked off and was going to park it, but then I fixed the pick-up coils, had no more problem til I got gas in the oil, that was an expensive/valuble lesson. Later 'Dog

Comment

took the XS11 out yesterday to see if I could find *anything*...
                it started immediately, ran better than it EVER has, and the acceleration is/was frightening
                ...took it around the block (easy push back to the shop if need be - but it ran flawlessly), then ventured out onto the freeway for ~25 miles and back; no problem...
                ...then out to a country road to open it up - it ran purrfect from 0mph all the way to triple digits...

...so, when the gas is run out of this tankful I plan on pulling the tank and petcocks and use some carb cleaner (thanx planedick), and will start looking for pick-up coils - can you buy these NEW??
                I've had the left side cover off and checked them out - they have been repaired a few times but no break in the wires that I could find... are there "after market" pick-up coils?? replacing those is the ONLY thing I haven't tried.

I love this bike (when it's running like it is now) but if it gives me any more trouble I will register it NON-OP and let it rust in the back of my shop - my "Fun-Meter" is PEGGED.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Coils are about $120 each new for the original coils, there are threads here about taking other coils, modifying them and they work.
                  I just bought a set up used coils on E-bay, cost me $60 with shipping for both. (that was not my problem) PM me if you are interested, but first run the bike on the stand for at least a half hour. Listen to see if you hear any difference in the exhaust noises. You should hear it sputter. This is when you should be checking things like voltage from ignition box, coils, and plugs. I would check compression at cold, at hot, and after it has run for at least a half hour. Mine would run great until I got about 10 miles then it would sputter backfire and die when I pulled in the clutch. It would start right back up, and die shortly after. It got progressively worse through the summer. First it took over 40 miles for it to start doing it. I assumed fuel at first, then electrical. I only did the compression checks cold and with the bike running for about 15 minutes but the other day I let it run in the garage until it would sputter, then i started checking compression and found cyl #2 lost compression. It got the compression back after the bike sits for about a half hour. I am not positive it is the valves yet, I'll know for sure this weekend when I open her up. But I am sure the lack of compression is the cause of my issues.
                  I'm not saying the fuel and other stuff people listed aren't your problem, just giving you something else to think about and check.
                  1980 XS 1100 Special
                  1983 Honda Shadow 500 (profit project)
                  1986 Honda Shadow 500 (wife's)

Comment

ridinghard - 'checked the compression and I have 148+/- 2psi on all 4 cyl.s cold... I let it idle the other day for ~15 mins and it sounded and "behaved" great...

I'm about to venture out 50 miles and after the 100 miles round trip I'll check em hot. I just hope I make it back...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

The pick up coils are the ones he is talking about under the left cover-not the ignition coils located under the tank.2 totally different things.I don't think that the pick-up coils are available anymore.You can change the wires by splicing wires(multimeter)into the existing ones.The wires used on a multimeter flex pretty good.I did that and it worked awhile ago.I have not had a problem with the wires since then.
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      Inline fuel filters
                      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                      160 mph speedometer mod
                      Kerker Exhaust
                      xschop K & N air filter setup
                      Dynojet Recalibration kit
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

'went for a 4 hour ride north yesterday... bike ran purrfect.

it took 2 hours to make it into the shop this mornin' - bike still ran purrfect (eSpEcIaLLy for a 29 yr old bike!)

this is frustrating because I repair and do restorations on vacuum tube guitar amps and Hammond organs and when they "misbehave" you have a *definite* cause of the malfunction. Intermittent problems are THE hardest to troubleshoot, find and fix IME

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

UncleSpot;

I feel that planedick got it right and you have followed his lead. "The petcock towers have very small holes in the screen and over the years the drying of fuel there left a deposit of red varnish..." Since you have had at least one secure ride, it appears that the problem is fixed. I had similar problems with my in tank towers and leaking petcocks and I replaced the whole petcock assemblys and the problem went away.

Comment

My 80 sg has been doing the same thing. I have determined this problem is from not priming the petcocks.

I used to prime the petcock in the morning then turn it to on position. I used to just let it sit in the on position while i work then start her up and ride without changing the petcocks. Now I turn petcocks off when done riding and turn to prime before starting. I havnt had the problem again for at least 500 miles.

This problem got me very worried after heading home in the dark one night. Then the bike stopped on I-70 bridge close to downtown. There is about 1.5 foot shoulder (scary). While pushing the bike that night I thought for sure my end was near. Thankfully I pushed her to safety.
                            Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
                            X