X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic sound from ?header?

*sorry ! Accidentally posted this in the members loung first*

Hi All!

I am NOT a motor guy so I don't know what the proper verbage is for things related to the motor so I will do my best to explain what I am hearing and from where...

When the bike is running there seems to be a moving metallic sort of sound coming from the top of the engine. Appears to be making the sound all the way across all 4 cylinders. Not sure how to describe it. It sounds like...well, I don't know what it sounds like. I guess knowing vaguely how the pistons and all that work, it sounds like what it seems to me the metallic moving parts would sound like with too little oil, but the oil is full. Kind of like if you hear a robotic application with small metallic arms and such that operate up and down quickly...that type of noise.

It could be perfectly normal for these bikes or it could be some indication that something is starting to go wrong or is wrong. It seems it has made the noise for a while, maybe since I have owned it (not quite a year). I am getting ready to sell it (to a buddy, possibly) and I want to be able to sell with confidence that it isn't going to brake down in short order or blow an engine any time soon. I know I am burning some oil, possibly some blow-by on one of the cylinders. Besides that don't know...

Hopefully someone can offer a suggestion or some assurance...I appreciate any and all feedback!
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

These bikes do have a tinny metalic sound to them in the top end... much like low oil or something. My old Yamaha YZ250 dirt bike has the same sound. A friend of mine says it sounds like a hive full of hornets trying to get out. There are some little rubber plugs that go in between the fins to help a little... but you'll always have that sound. With a fairing, it gets funneled up to you and is worse!

One thing you can do is adjust the timing chain. Read up on how to do this so you don't bend anything. Don't over torque the set screw either.. it's easy to do since the housing is just aluminum. This can quiet down some noisy chain noise sometimes if that's the noise you hear.

Do your regular routine maintanance, and you should be just fine.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks a bunch! That makes me feel a lot better.

Now if I can just get the carb issue resolved...:-)

Comment

You said it makes the noise when it's running...

when you aren't moving as well as when it is moving? or only when you have it on the road?

Not certain that the stock exhaust on the XS with its double walled headers (I'm currently running single wall after market pipes) could do the same thing my FJ did... but I heard a noise on it that sounded much like a spun bearing... ended up being the inner wall of my header had come loose and was banging around... mainly when I was on the road... but occasionally while sitting still...
        One of those... I hope it could be this... rather than... YIKES!... things...

JAT

Good luck!
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

The noise is constant whenever the bike is running, moving or not.

Comment

Cam chain might need adjusting, like TRBIG said.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

metallica ?
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Probably just normal valve/cam chain/cam noise. Top end of these motors can sometimes be heard above many other normal motor noises. Cam chain can be rather noisy also.

If you do not have a motor stethoscope, take a piece of wooden dowel and place it against to your ear and touch the other end to several places along the top of the motor. You should be able to hear everything inside and it should sound like smooth mechanical parts moving in concert with each other. If you have something out of order, it should sound different from the rest as you get closer to the problem spot.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Little rubber fin stubs

Well, I always wondered what those rubber things in between the fins were and what purpose they served. Dampener--huh?

Also, I had to take the exhaust off to change my filter and heard the same noise after racing a crotch rocket. I thought I bent a valve or something, but it ended up being a loose manifold bolt. Thank god for loose manifold bolts!

Casey B

Comment

My standard has that sound, but its due to an exhaust leak at the head.
                    "Rat Rod"
                    79 XS1100 Standard
                    87 VMAX cans
                    Cheap Japanese Tires
                    Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                    Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                    Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

tap tap tap

My 79 special does that and everything is perfect just drives ya nuts when people say ya have a valve loose.But i have had bikes with double walled pipes seperate like kat said and though terrible things had happened.

John
                      79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                      80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                      06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                      2000 Concours
                      84 Kawi KLR600
                      79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                      79 XR250
                      Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                      John

Comment

Common

I know what you mean. I really worried about mine when I first got it. I found that it's common for these machines and they make lots of noise. Don't worry it will grow on you and you will begin to appreciate how reliable these things are. Just put in your ear plugs and ride.....
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Like a teen with a new car...just turn up the radio......
                          "Rat Rod"
                          79 XS1100 Standard
                          87 VMAX cans
                          Cheap Japanese Tires
                          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

just turn up the radio......

Just not TOO loud. Oct of '06 I was headed to an Oklahoma rally, cruising along at a pretty good clip.. 70+ with bursts up to 100 to pass cars. I had my trusty MP3 player with ear buds cranked... enjoying the day, music, and wind. I had to stop at a stoplight in a town after 60 miles and something didn't "Feel" right with the bike. Turned off the music... and it sounded like 5 little kids with hammers beating on my motor! No telling how long it had been going on.

So... listen to music... just don't drown things out. You'll come to love the bike's sounds as much as the music.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own