not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not charging

okay here is the problem it is a 81 1100 midnight special. when i crank it up the the rpm gauge works for about 5 seconds to a min. then the gauge falls... i turn if off then crank again and it will work for a min again... any help...
    b

Does the headlight work? The headlight relay is triggered by the charging system.

Comment

I JUST solved a non-charging issue where my tach worked fine and the headlight stayed on all of the time, but the battery would be stone cold after about 35 miles.

Recently, I had the bike apart for paint. Covers, engine off, wheels off, etc...

Apparently, when replacing the cover over the generator, the wires got pinched between the cover and the engine block. This caused a breakage in the wire, which I repaired. Charging system now throws just over 14 volts across the battery and I can once again see at night!! Who knew there was so much to look at??
      "Rat Rod"
      79 XS1100 Standard
      87 VMAX cans
      Cheap Japanese Tires
      Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
      Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
      Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

yeah my headlight isn't working.... i was going to by pass that unit... so hopefully that is it... i guess i will find out this weekend...

thanks guy

b
        b

Comment

Working...
        X