Can you stroke an XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you stroke an XS?

I've done the search and didn't find anything. I think that I have read before, somewhere that it cant be done because of the connecting rods, or lack of. Or the lack of the block, i.e. no notching.
    Just a thought. Give her more stoke and she could really get off the line quick. But then you get back to the clutch, which can barely handle the power. Any thought's out there? Thanks
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Hey Saddle,

31 previous views and no comments....should tell you something!

IF you want more power, put in a Big Bore Kit. Aside from that, it's starts getting real $$ real fast. You can do/have done almost anything but can you really afford it!? There was a thread about "how much performance" or something like that, a good read!

As for the clutch, it is actually pretty strong, but if you want more grip, take a look at the Extra Steel plate in the clutch mod in the MODS section.....scroll down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, several newer tips are NOT linked from the left yellow column!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well ....

Ok to stroke it, but be gentle and it will purrrrrrrrrrrrr ...
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Well I just remember the old adage, stroke it and you git to it faster..lol
        If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

Comment

Top Cat, I along with everybody on this site knows you are the top cat. Maybe I am thinking HD (gasp) But if you stroke an already over stroke which the stroke is more than the bore, like the XS 1100 then you have a really bad machine. ...thanks Top cat
          Last edited by saddle up; 05-11-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

It gets bigger if you stroke it

Hi Up,
            anything is possible if you throw enough money at it but you have to modify or rebuild EVERYTHING to increase the XS11's stroke vs simply slapping on a big bore kit to increase the piston diameter. OTOH, just a modest fortune spent on a turbocharger will get you enough extra power to turn an XS11 that hasn't had a serious upgrade on it's brakes & handling into a real widowmaker.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

How about a JATO system like the military use on their cargo planes?

JATO=Jet Assisted Take Off

Don
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

You CAN stroke an XS1100. It just COSTS! There is a shop in Florida that charges about $850 to balance and stroke the crank. They don't say ANYTHING about the rods, other than they DO sell some at ~$200 each. So it is possible, you just need the deep pockets to pay for it!
                The shop WILL just balance the crank for about $350, IIRC.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was wrong about the stroke being bigger than the bore, for an XS1100 but it's pretty darn close. Last time I remembered more stoke=more torque. More bore =hp. Diverray do you remember the outfit in Florida that does the stroking/ bottom end work?
                  I love these old bikes.The thrill is the same with a third gear WOT as it always was. I was just wondering if someone has done it.
                  Stroking also change the piston speed and bearing load.
                  This is a killer site. I spend more time reading than writing and have done a lot of research. This has to be one of the best web sites around. Thanks for everybody's input over the years. Long live the XS1100.

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH
                    How about a JATO system like the military use on their cargo planes?

JATO=Jet Assisted Take Off

Don
                    Actually, I know people with HU-16 Albatrosses with the original JATO mounts still on it. Once I get my hands on that gyrocopter kit I'm looking it, look out...
                    1981 XS1100S (former)
                    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

I think the XS is a thrill to drive as-is. Big bore, well ok, but stroke and a big bore??!! It's like upgrading your computer; you think you're just gonna do one small thing and it has a domino effect that results in replacing practically everything. How much torque can we add before we start snapping driveshafts? Can the transmission handle it? How about the carbs? Can they deliver the kind of flow a monster like this would need? Exhaust? Tires? Leave it like it is. If you want more power, buy a bike with more power. There's plenty of them out there. Just make sure your life insurance is paid up, and we'll see you on the other side.

Tim
                      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                      23mm float height
                      120 main jets
                      42.5 pilot jets
                      drilled stock airbox with K&N
                      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                      spade fusebox
                      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I stroke my XS before every ride...and talk real perty-like and sweet to it.
                        "Rat Rod"
                        79 XS1100 Standard
                        87 VMAX cans
                        Cheap Japanese Tires
                        Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                        Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                        Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Working...
                        X