Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to start...

Alright XSives,

So I got my carbs back on after the standard newbie triple clean and was only able to do my own type of bread tie sync (a single thread of copper wire from some scraps laying around). A fellow XSive said he'd cruise down sometime soon to help me sync her up.

With that said, she idles fine...right about 1000-1300 rpm. I noticed when revving the engine after a few minutes that it almost sounded like throttle stuck open (even though it didn't) because she idled at 3k for a while. ??? Ideas?

I think that's just tinkering that needs to be done.

Oh yeah, my enricher now has 1/2 and full thanks to a small donor part from my 79. I love you!

Anyways...I had the bike lifted to check the tranny. Clutch in, shift to first, RAT RAT tire is spinning while the clutch is still pulled in. Wanted to try to get to 2nd, but when I tried RAT RAT RAT RAT...and I didn't want to damage anything so I stopped.

I just changed the oil to Mobil 1 today and had poured some sea foam about a week ago but never ran it...only manually shifted through the gears. The bike sat with the PO for about ten months...then I got her...cleaned the carbs, charged the battery, new plugs, and here we are today.

Should I attempt the rear break lock up to try and break the clutch plates free?
    I would have searched for tips or through the forum, but I'm not sure where to start or what to search for. Clutch? Tranny? Shifter? Just give me some direction Guru's. Thanks!!
    1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
    4 to 2 Exhaust
    K&N Pod Filters
    Fuel Filters
    Inline shut off valves
    Slotted Rotors
    My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
    Non-gasoline conversion

On your idle issue - mine would do the same thing 'tll I got my carbs straightened out. Still idles a little higher after she's warmed up but that's to be expected. Probably need to get it properly synched before trying other actions. I went into my carbs four or five times before I got 'em like they're supposed to be. Little pieces of junk floating down the lines, etc. What kind of shape is your gas tank in? Line filters? If your tire is spinning while its up on the center stand in gear with the clutch in - don't worry, that's pretty normal. What does RAT RAT RAT mean?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Jason,

Like DB said, rear tire spinning when off the ground while in gear is normal, just simple fluid on clutch plates drag! Sit on the bike, hold the rear brake down, shift into gear. IF the engine stalls, then the clutch plates are sticking, but doubt it. But if so, then just putting it on the ground and putting in gear and holding clutch lever in, and ROCKING back and forth will usually break the plates free!

When searching you sometimes have to use a combination of terms to get the results you want, just like searching the NET!

You might want to try it with SYNTHETIC OIL to learn about whether you want to keep using the Mobil 1 or going to Dino juice?

The hanging idle is probably the vacuum synch needing to be done, but make sure the cable has some slack at the handlebar, and did you try turning down the MAIN idle thumbscrew??
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cool cool

Dbeards,

RAT RAT RAT was the sound it made as metal hit metal before catching the gear. Gas tank is cherry. The PO cared about asthetics and had a lot of stuff done before selling it (front forks, tires, battery, paint, head gasket, etc...). The guy he took it to for the paint knew his stuff because he cleaned the inside of it out! I have inline filters and cut off valves as of two weeks ago. Nothing floating or getting caught so far!!

TC,

Hopefully another XSive will either let me borrow his carb stick or come down and coach me on synching them up.

I'll try the rocking thing after I get my rear tube replaced. Before anybody asks...Yes, I'm sure it has a tube. Dunno why...but it does.

I'll read up on those threads for sure! Oh yeah, a co-worker is going to break up that manual for me on Monday! I'll send it your way!
        4 to 2 Exhaust
        K&N Pod Filters
        Fuel Filters
        Inline shut off valves
        Slotted Rotors
        My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

synthetic

So I read the threads and will probably go back to dino juice. Thanks for the $$ savings in the future TC.
          4 to 2 Exhaust
          K&N Pod Filters
          Fuel Filters
          Inline shut off valves
          Slotted Rotors
          My heart and soul

Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Working...
          X