Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops-Cam Chain slipped into Tunnel

Bummer ...

While replacing the Cam-Chain on my 80 XS1100G std, I went to insert the master link in the chain, and knocked the front part of the chain loose, and with a swoop ... it disappeared .. down in to the chain tunnel. I thougt that the front part of chain was wired to the frame, guess I thought I didn't need it anymore.

The back part of the chain is hanging in the tunnel, but I can not figure out how to fish out the front end of chain in tunnel, around the lower gear?

Maybe I could fish string or very thin wire around the lower sprocket shaft ( 1-1/2" ) max, and pull the chain thriugh with the string/wire?

I am sure that someone has done this before, and I do not want to reinvent the wheel at this point in my life (72 yrs) . So, please help me out. I have had this XS1100 since new, 85000mi, do not want to pull the motor.
    Ernie Elmore
    1815 N Tympani Cir
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    Ph: 714-340-3173
    email: xs11ernie-mc@yahoo.com
    Still Riding at 79 for ....
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G Std - Everlasting - sold (sob)
    1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago - Enduring - sold
    1993 Honda XR650L - Enduro - gave to Son

I'm trying to visualize....

Usually, when the chains fall in, they just wad up there on the bottom.
    Easy to retrieve with one o' dem "Magnets on a Stick" things.
    I may not be understanding your problem.
    I'm seeing that the rear of the chain is still tied to the frame... it goes down, under the crank, and where it normally would come back up, the chain fell in as is laying there on the bottom. Is that correct?
    Now, if for some reason, the chain is no longer meshed... I mean no longer going under the crank, that's a different story.
    Are you saying that there's no section of chainwrapped around the crank sprocket teeth?
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: Oops-Cam Chain slipped into Tunnel

Originally posted by ernie elmore
      Maybe I could fish string or very thin wire around the lower sprocket shaft ( 1-1/2" ) max, and pull the chain thriugh with the string/wire?
      I think this is how you'll need to do it. A good flashlight will help.

You might have luck with a magnet on a stick, but when you get them that far down inside, they start sticking to everything else down there.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I don't know how much of your chain is covered in oil~~but, I'm guessing the magnet attaching to the chain, would hang onto the chain better, when you start back up, if oil is drained.
        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

No one has mentioned a simple wire clothes hanger pulled apart and a little hook bent into the end to go FISHING with!?

Also, pulling the bottom pan, dropping a string down from the top thru the same place the chain fell in/thru, being able to pull part of the string out thru the bottom along with the loose end of the chain so that you can tie onto it, and then pull string back up from the top and the chain should follow!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No one has mentioned

This cheep tool be my
            "XSelent cam chain retrevial tool"

Here it be with it's jaws open

Takes but a few seconds to grab the wayward end of chain and drag it back up

mro

Comment

Dropped chain

I didn't even worry about keeping mine up there while changing it. I just let it drop until I was ready to hook the new one to it. I just used a magnet on a stick to pull it up. When you're ready to time things just take both ends in your hands and try to slip it back and forth under the crank and you can tell if it is engaging the sprocket or not. Using a flashlight it is easy to see if it is properly engaged.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

hey there mro...it is also a very XSively nice tool for grabbing the idle screw on my 79f standard......mine has no slot for a screwdriver, only notches on the outside of the head.....ross
                rebel devil
                1979 xs 1100f standard
                authenic historical vehicle
                42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                '96 venture cct.....installed!
                stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

"I don't really want to know about your marital aids"

MRO...
                  Why did you take a picture of this thing lying on your bed?
                  It's not one of those "Bedroom Tools" that one reads about, is it?
                  Yes, I do know that some women like to be pinched in certain places, but I've found clothes pins to be more useful.

Comment

Lost cam-chain Now Fix

Thanks to all you XSer's for your inputs .... My fix story below ....

Well, There I was, thinking how stupidly I had lost one end of a new XS1100 cam-chain down the chain tunnel, and after all the warnings against this Stupid Act! I was looking out the window thinking that instead of striping the engine down, really not a bad idea with 85,000 mi on the clock, I would really like a big vodka on the rocks, and break 15 years on the wagon. That's when I saw the Flash, the old light bulb trick! God had inspired me with a "Lost cam-chain Fix"!

Out to the garage I went like a Flash? At 72 I really don't move that fast, but I still ride a dirtbike cross country in the Mojave Desert. My first thought was, "Why am I here ?", then I saw the XS1100 with the gas tank off.

So now I set to work caring out my "Inspiration", which in a nutshell, was to "Fish a wire around the lower cam chain gear, then re-pull the cam chain after it". It seemed so simple ... now to put the idea into Action!

I had left off with the cams removed (good time to adjust valves & replace needed shims) and spark plugs out.

1. Remove the dangling cam chain out of the engine.
                    2. With the cam chain tensioner removed, push both cam chain guides to the side.
                    3. With a small Mag Lite flashlight, look for the lower cam gear and see the smooth shoulders on gear.
                    4. Get 3 ft of small gauge, soft wire, see I know I would need that wire sometime.
                    5. Form a small, square, open hook on one end, to catch and hook on lower cam chain sprocket tooth.
                    6. Point small Mag Lite on lower chain gear, lower wire with hook on end, down to front side of gear, fish around and snag gear tooth while keeping tension on the wire.
                    7. Rotate engine CCW 3/4+ turns, with other hand (easy with no spark plugs).
                    8. With Mag Lite, look to see if the hook on gear was visible, if not move lower gear back & forth until hook is on top of gear.
                    9. Get another 3 ft small gauge wire, form a loop in the end, shine Mag Lite on gear, lower wire and fish for the first wire's open hook on top of the gear. Sooner or later you will hook the first wire end.
                    10. Carefully pull the 1st wire END up and out of the engine, while turning the engine back and fourth as required.
                    11. Now with a wire around the lower cam chain sprocket, attach the wire at one end of the new cam chain and pull it around the lower sprocket and out the other end. You have done! Place wire on both chain ends and secure to frame.
                    12. Place timing mark on end of crankshaft on the "T". Replace both cam shafts, with the cam DOT by the center cap arrow.
                    13. Replace the cam chain "bridge" between the cam sprockets. Join the ends of the new cam chain with the chain Master Link without the link end plate. Move crankshaft and check for proper chain movement of 1" back and forth. Realign Dots on camshafts.
                    14. Place chain master link plate on the link, backup link with heavy object, use punch to peen ends of link, finish with small ballpeen hammer.
                    15. Replace chain tensioner on front of engine with spring compressed. (new "O" ring on adjuster screw, end cap and gasket).
                    16. Check for timing mark @ "T" and cam DOT's @ under cap arrow.
                    17. Now place timing mark on the "C" and release cam tensioner adjustment, tighten screw and locknut.
                    18. Slooowly rotate engine 360 deg, without spark plugs, checking for smooth action, stop at any sign of effort.
                    19. Replace sparkplugs, valve cover (new gasket). Re-tighten valve cover screws after a month of riding.
                    20. You have done it! and you didn't even have to take the engine apart. Well at least in my Dreams! Then again, It really did happen for me, and in a couple of hours. What RELIEF! What a retired Engineer can think up!
                    21. Now is a good time to Sync those Carbs before the gas tank goes on.

The moral of the story is .... When the going gets tough, have that drink ... OR ... See the Light and get Inspired.

The XS1100 Form person whom takes care of the Tech Tips should insert this tip under "Maintenance Tip", Cam Chain Replacement - "Lost cam-chain Fix"
                    Ernie Elmore
                    1815 N Tympani Cir
                    Anaheim, CA 92807
                    Ph: 714-340-3173
                    email: xs11ernie-mc@yahoo.com
                    Still Riding at 79 for ....
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G Std - Everlasting - sold (sob)
                    1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago - Enduring - sold
                    1993 Honda XR650L - Enduro - gave to Son

Comment

"Father and Grandfather were engineers."

Mr Elmore....
                      Even before you mentioned it, I recognized that you were an engineer.
                      I know how you people think.
                      Very good job, Sir.

Comment

Mr. Elmore,

In the world of home motorcycle repair, specificaly in challenging cam chain replacement techniques............

You sir, are a God!

Paul
                        1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                        1979 XS1100 Standard
                        1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Re: "I don't really want to know about your marital aids"

Prom, you are "bent!" Ha!

Originally posted by prometheus578
                          MRO...
                          Why did you take a picture of this thing lying on your bed?
                          snip
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

One would think with a handle like that you wold recognize the utility of such a device. Not only does it retrieve dropped cam chains...but can extract that absorbent thing'y should the string break

Dear ernie,
                            leave it to an inspired engineer to come up with a 21 step procedure (22 actually, as a vodka over be a helpful first step in many situations) to do something easily done in one

mro
                            When everything's coming your way,
                            you're in the wrong lane and going the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                            X