Reverse polarity hookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse polarity hookup?

Well, now I've done it. While bench syncing the carbs (again), I thought I may as well charge the battery. OK...I had the neg. lead disconnected (and taped the loose end to prevent an accidental grounding), and hooked up the charger. While trying to get a better connection (battery still in bike) , I was horrified to notice the RED (always positive in my book) was hooked to the neg side of the battery! !@#%$^&*!!! I changed it and went ahead with the sync job. Then, everything back together, I tried to start it. NOTHING. I rechecked my fuel lines (air to top "T's", fuel to bottom "T's"). Nothing registered....until I started thinking about spark. WHAT HAVE I DONE?..and where do I start the process of running down what I've ruined?..or did I? Thanks.
    Geno

Did you check that some P.O. had not put on a new lead of the wrong color?
    POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
    THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
    1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

polarity

If you had it hooked up backwards, you should have noticed a big spark? Check the fuses!
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes, V/Hump, that's exactly what happened: The PO has a red battery lead connected to the neg. side of the battery, and me, not thinking, hooked the positive of the charger to it. Darn! Stupidity can be costly.
        Geno

Comment

Naw... you'll be fine. I am uncertain what bike you have, but there will be a main 30 amp fuse that you blew. Some of the main fuses are on the back side of the fuse panel (I'm told). The XJ has it's main fuse in what looks to be a little white box that looks like some kind of relay box or somthing right under the seat. Whatever it is, it should have a couple good sized red wires going to/from it. The little guys in the white lab coats saw this coming... new fuse when you find it and all will be fine.... except for the un-synched carbs part.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oh man, really? Whew!! You know I'll be looking. I hope you're right. thanks.
            Geno

Comment

Working...
            X