Dead speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge

My tach is working, as are all my lights and everything else but the speedometer, odometer and fuel gauge all seem dead.

Would that be a simple fuse problem do you think? Obviously all related somehow, they all worked fine last season... maybe a dirty connector "somewhere"?
    Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
    My story

Cable?

Have you checked your speedometer cable to make certain it's lubed and well seated at both ends? As far as I know, it's all mechanical... no electric...
    (I have to put the disclaimer in there...)

Others more knowledgeable on the electric can help you with the fuel gauge... but... you did plug in the fuel sending unit... yes?
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

ok, the obvious is always good... I posted before I took a look at it. As it turns out the shop (from which the bike just came back from) had unattached the speedo cable and forgot to reattach it. I suspect they also forgot the fuel sending unit too, but I'll look into that when I get home.

On a new note, I found I was losing power on the way to the office this morning... felt like a cylinder was missing, but all the pipes were hot. I suppose I ought to put new plugs in it at least as the ones in there are pretty old at this point... but at any rate, the speedo "problem" is sorted out, now on to The Next Thing™.
      Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
      My story

Comment

Working...
      X