XJ Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Air Filter

I may love punishment but what do you guys do for an air filter for your XJ's . I just finished paying $56 inc tax for one here in Canada

part no. 10M-14451-00-00

Am I being hosed (again) ?
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

back at ya

OK . To answer my own post . BikeBandit.com has them for $37 plus whatever shipping handling postage and duty for ordering across the border (charged by Canadian Customs) . Might be the same in the end .
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Progressive fork springs
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

An alternative is to modify the stock filter by replacing the element with a K & N panel.
      From a previous post by Maximan:
      A K&N Mod for an XJ
      Everyone knows K&N made a filter for the XS air box. And...everyone knows they didn't make one for the XJ.

Well since I'm doing a complete performance upgrade to Zilla I had to figure out a way to install a K&N filter without going to pods. I don't want pods on Zilla because it's my road bike. Occasionally on one of those 3000 mile road trips I'll get caught out in the rain. Besides I don't particularly care for the look of indivdual filters.

This is a very simple modification. I took an OEM breather and cut the paper element out leaving the metal frame.

Then I used a K&N "drop in" panel style filter that was very close to the dimensions of the OEM filter frame. The K&N number is 33-2586. I ordered direct from the K&N website.

The width was exact. But the length was slightly long by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I cut it to length and used RTV to seal it in the frame. Then I used JB Weld to reassemble the frame cross-member to the frame.

In theory it should allow the engine to breath more readily...but I can't prove that. If I feel like it I do an A-B dyno run while the bike is locked down on the rack to see if there is any difference between the two. I'm not betting it will be discernable but ya never know.
      Maximan also drilled a series of air holes in the bottom of the airbox and used the Emgo 1 inch round filters in the holes. This allowed a better air flow into the air box. If you go K & N route, and the extra air holes, you may want to watch your spark plug color to make sure the jetting is not going to lean and overheating the engine.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

substitute

That filter is $42 online and $66 discounted to $55 at my local plus tax
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Progressive fork springs
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

And, it's the LAST filter you need to buy!! Remember, the K&N can be cleaned and re-oiled. I run a K&N in my stock airbox. runs great, I've put about 60K on it, and still no problems.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Last One Standing

Right . Good point
            XJ1100K
            Avon rubber
            MikesXS black coils
            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
            MikesXS front master
            Progressive fork springs
            YICS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
              And, it's the LAST filter you need to buy!! Remember, the K&N can be cleaned and re-oiled.
              Now there's a concept.

I'm still running the OEM hairy foam elements in both Tsunami and SWMBO's 'H. I take them out a couple of times a season, wash them out with gas, reoil them with filter element oil, and I'm good to go. 27 years of service is pretty good!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

to be thorough

What exactly is the process by which you clean one of these re-usable filters ? Are cleaning and oiling products required ? How much do the products cost and how long do they last ? Thanks
                XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Progressive fork springs
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...