Re-grease steering head bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-grease steering head bearings

Guys, in a previous thread where I announced myself as a new 80 1100 SG owner, it was brought up that I should check steering head bearings to be sure they are not worn and or gunked up with 28 year old grease. This is in reference to the 30 mph-ish weave/sway that the bike does, esp. after riding awhile and coming down from speed and then cruising slower through town.

All posts I find relating to the steering bearings, you guys are dremeling, freezing, heating, punching, drifting, and all kinds of other "-ings" to get the bearings OUT.

In the previous post I mention above, someone says that another person "checked his bearings, they were in good shape, so he cleaned them, regreased them and was good to go." (or his words were similar)

Question is, it appears I can do this by accessing things from the top w/o pulling the forks, etc. Is this correct?

I have no reason to think they are worn, the bike was completely garaged for 28 years and everything else I have taken apart thus far (rear end, lubed all splines, front wheel bearings, rear wheel bearings, middle/rear drive, et al) has been not too bad considering the age of the fluids. The bike has just over 13,000 original miles on it and was definitely never abused.

So with no reason to think they are worn or need replacing, am I on the right track as far as access from the top goes?

Thanks in advance!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Hey there Bonser,

What you found about the bearings was info about REMOVING the old races, cutting, spitting, etc!!! IF you remove the top steering fork clamp assembly, you'll want to have the engine/frame supported and jacked up so that you can drop the forks and lower fork tree out from the frame neck, and you will be able to lift up the lower bearings from the steering center tube.

It's been a while, but I think the upper ones will also slide out from the top! But yes, you can remove the bearings, just not the races, to clean and repack!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You will have to drop the lower triple clamp down to access the lower bearing. This is the one that is very difficult to remove as it is virtually a press fit on to the shaft. You may be able to clean and repack the lower bearing with out having to remove it. You will need to place the bike on the center stand, and raise the front of the bike as high as you can to allow the forks to drop far enough, OR you can slide the forks up into the triple clamp and tighten the clamp bolts. Now, with a some distance between the tire and the ground, you can lower the triple clamp out of the steering head and be able to access the lower bearing.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick and thorough responses!

I'll take a look this weekend and see what I can see.

For the riding I'll do on the bike, it'll be just fine if I can clean the bearings while still on the bike and repack them with grease. That's what I'm doing on the left rear wheel bearing and I feel I got it really well cleaned and fully re-greased.

This bike is in awesome shape for sure. This work gives me the peace of mind that it will be fine for years to come.

Thanks much, again!
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I had a similar problem and I just got done taking mine all apart and cleaning it. I did it just like the manual says, take off the handle bars, headlight, front tire, and forks. Then remove the bolts holding the whole steering head together. top just slides off and then the bottom slides out. On mine the lower bearing was stuck to the shaft so I cleaned it there, it really wasn't bad. the top bearing wasn't attached to anything, just sitting in the upper race. Cleaned and regreased them both and I'm very happy with the results.

Also a good chance to inspect the wheel bearings, and the wiring inside the headlight bucket.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Sounds like I will have to take it apart but that's no biggee!

I did the wheel bearings last week when I did the front brakes and fork oil. Just had to take it apart to see what makes it tick. Also lubed the speedo unit down low as well. There won't be anything untouched once I get the new right rear wheel bearing installed when it arrives.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

There is another way.

Hi Howard,
              Back in the day steering head races had grease nipples in the frame. While you have the steering head apart to re-pack the races, drill & tap the steering head frame tube for a grease nipple and pump her full on reassembly. That way you save yourself a front end teardown every five years or so.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Great idea!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                X