Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear brake lite works, but not running light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake lite works, but not running light.

My 79 XS11 tail light suddenly desided to crap out. Brake light works fine. New bulb didn't fix. Can anyone help this non-mechanic identify the wire I need to trace down? Any help is appreciated!
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Hey Farrington,

IT's the blue wire in the harness going to the rear light assembly. Take off the seat, sometimes the wires get caught between seat and fender, chaffed, cut, pulled loose, etc.! Also, even before that, check your FUSES!!! The brake lights are on a different circuit than the tail/dash lights! Do your gauge lights still work??

If not, then it's most likely the fuse. IF you are still using the glass fuses, you need to actually PULL it out, check the brass clips, they can corrode, crack, loose their tension, along with the fuses themselves can go bad but still look good, check with a ohmeter!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The blue wire is the one you need to check. Do the gauge lights work?

Comment

Thanks to both for your speedy replies. Yes, my gauge lights do work. I'll check the blue wire.

And funny thing you should mention "the fuses themselves can go bad but still look good" . . . ...

Regards to both,
        Mike Farrington
        Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
        Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

Working...
        X