No announcement yet.

Shocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sip - that just adjusts the preload a.k.a. how much meat you have sitting over it. Doesn't affect the rating of the spring. I ride solo as I unloaded SWNSU some years ago Mine are set in the middle, and I go about 200 lbs.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

i'm having a great time figuring out "SWNSU"
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

I'm guessing "She Who Never Shut's Up"?
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Sip - darn your good. I'm bettin' the guys are laughing and the girls are gettin' mad right about now. Unless of course the guys are in the presence of the girls, in which case they are only laughing on the inside
          Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Sorry I screwed up the last post. Psy - darn YOUR good. There, that's better.

Comment

manual

The Clymers manual has the settings for the stock shocks.
              I found a set of shocks in Jireh for HD sporties,etc that are $79 and are 11.5 tall. They should work.
              I am lowering my bike, and I discovered that if you take one of the ones that you have off and go to any aftermarket supplier you can match things up.
              I as well don't want to spend more on shocks than I spent on the bikes! Seems a little silly. I can't imagine paying almost $300 for shocks.
              Get the adjustment tool while you're at it. And do some shopping around. The voices here are reliable and know what they are talking about. I'm relatively new at this, but shocks are a big part of getting my bike running, at least for me.
              80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

MikesXS shocks - initial impresion

I just got home from work, my new shocks from Mikes xs were waiting for me. I ordered 06 - 3601, they are black with chrome springs and 13 3/16" (335mm.) eye to eye. That makes them a little more then 1/2" longer then stock.

Taking them out of the box there are two things I noticed right away, first Mike says they are "progressive" springs and they are but not the way you would expect. There are actually two springs a tightly wound one about 2" tall on the bottom and then a larger one on top. I had expected a single progressive spring. Also I ordered the black shocks but for some reason the retainer ring on top is shiny instead of black. Doesn't look bad but I think it would look better all black. Pics will follow as soon as SWMBO gets home with our camera.

Mounting them was easy, I put the bike on the center stand and removed the grab bar and the stock shock mounting nuts. Then pulled the stock shocks off letting the rear tire fall an inch or two to the floor. Then I slid the proper rubbers into the new shocks and slid the bottom onto its mounting point, then lifted the tire a little to start the top. Second side is easier because you don't have to lift the tire. Then I replaced all the bolts holding the shocks and grab bar.

I measured before and after and the overall change in "stance" without me on the bike is about 1/4" higher so not even noticable. When I sit on the bike it doesn't sag as much as it used to so sitting on the bike I'd say I'm maybe 1/2" higher then before. Still hardly noticable.

The initial shake down ride I left the new springs on the lowest preload. Went around the block and over some railroad tracks that caused to old shocks to bottom out every time. All I can say is WOW! This is a 1000% improvement over the old (junk) shocks and springs. No more bottoming, no more bucking when I get on the gas, no more bouncing for several seconds after going over a bump, and no more "pucker" when I go around a corner with some bumps in it. The lowest preload seemed about right for me at 200lbs on my naked special so I think I'll leave them be for a week and see.

Now I can't compare these to Progressive shocks as I've never had a set and I can't say how they will do with two up as I haven't had a chance to try that yet. But I can say that over worn out stock springs and shocks these were worth the $80 to me.

More to come....
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                X