Shocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking question

I was looking at shocks on Mikes XS, specifically Mikes XS part #06-3647 . Anyone know if these will work on a '79 standard?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

I wouldn't waste my money on those cheap shocks. I tried a set once on my SR500 (not the same ones from Mikes but similar ones for $79) and they are pretty worthless. They don't have much damping but a lot of resistance so they bounce around a lot and still have a rough ride!
    If you want to save money you can pickup a set of Harley shocks for around $50 at a lot of Harley shops and they are much better shocks, better suited to a heavy bike like the 1100. You will have to change the bushings though.
    72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

shocking

I just got the 06-3608 for my 78g and they seem to work good but they are a little long
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

It's well known that you don't get what you don't pay for. That said, a new moderately priced shock will likely work better than the shock that's been on the bike since it was built and is all wore out.
        What'd worry me is the shock's spring rate. Those units are meant for a bike that weighs ~470 lbs while the XS11 is pushing 600. I'd suppose the springs would be a little soft for it.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Progressive shocks

Several of the members here are running Progressives on their bikes and swear by them... You can go to their website and find the size and often find it on E-bay... I was able to score a set for John's bike for relatively inexpensively (don't recall exactly what I paid at the moment) and he loves them...
          IIRC, you do have to correct the bushing size... but that wasn't difficult...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

I just ordered 06 - 3601, which is the black version of the ones your looking at. They should be here tomorrow, so I'll have them on the bike either Wednesday or Thursday. If you want to wait a week or so I'll be able to give you my opinion.

I ordered the longer (then stock) ones to help compensate for the fact that they may be designed for a lighter bike. If the springs don't seem up to the job then I'm going to attempt to put the stock springs on the new shocks.

I wanted progressives but couldn't justify spending 200 - 400 bucks for shocks when I only paid 300 for the whole bike and its not running quite right.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

WildKat - you're quite the artist, aren't you. Had a look at your website trying to find the website you mentioned and was quite impressed. I wonder what you could do with a gas tank and some automotive paint...but I digress. Do you have a url for the website you alluded to?

Psycoreefer - I'm just doing the groundwork now, and am quite sure I won't order before you get yours (shocks that is ) I'm VERY interested in how they work, as I was thinking along the same lines as you. Can't see spending more on shocks than I did on the whole bike. One thing life has taught me is that it rarely pays to get in a big hurry. Some people say if I moved any slower I'd attract buzzards

Stevec5000 - Harley shocks sound like a good idea, but I have no idea what to look for other than a 12.75 inch shock with two eyes. Do you know a model number and someplace that sells them?

Thanks for the help.

WildKat - took another look at your site and clicked on the bike button. You couldn't quite stop at the gas tank, could you Looks cool.
              Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Awe shucks... thanks

Here's the link to the Progressive site...

Progressive Website

This should take you directly to the product search...
                When I bought John's shocks... I found the model he needed and then went right to E-bay...
                Last edited by Wildkat; 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM.
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Thanks WildKat. I checked the site, and it looks like the 04-1459B would be the ones. I look around on e-bay all the time, but have never ordered anything there. Progressive's site says you can order directly from them. $85 bucks for the chrome isn't bad. I must have been a ferret in a previous life 'cause I sure like shiny stuff.

Comment

All the Harley shocks I've seen (not that many) the width of the eye is to wide.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Is 85 for just shocks or for just springs? Keep in mind that you may or may not be able to put your stock springs on the progressive shocks depending on how they are designed and also that in order to switch the springs you will need to build/buy/rent/borrow a special tool to compress the springs.

Before I ordered mine I did a search and someone said that standard progressive rear springs seemed too soft for two up and that the heavy duty ones were too hard for anything but two up with luggage. I think they ended up putting their stock springs on the progressive shocks but I can't remember the details. Maybe if you do a search you can find that thread.

I wonder how much a shop would charge to just swap springs, something to think about.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Psy - Man was that a good question. I looked at it again, and it's for a spring kit for XS11 STD. Makes that $85 look a little different. I guess I could put the progressive springs on the old shocks, but I doubt whether they have much damping power left. I really want to put new springs and shocks. I've got my fingers crossed for your Mikes XS parts as it seems to have both.

Comment

Here is the price for the shocks WITHOUT the springs from the http://mawonline.com site.
                          M41688 $ 94.95 Progressive 14 OE Shocks w/out Sprngs Pr 12.5`` #141282 (141282B) Catalog Page
                          [ LENGTH: 12.5``; MOUNTS: Eyelet-to-eyelet ]
                          This is the page for the shocks:
                          www.mawonline.com/newsite/progressive-shocks.htm#412%20SERIES%20CRUISER%20SHOCKS
                          HTH
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

>>Stevec5000 - Harley shocks sound like a good idea, but I have no idea what to look for other than a 12.75 inch shock with two eyes. Do you know a model number and someplace that sells them?

Um, no. The Harley shop up the street has all sorts of different ones for $50 so I just picked some that looked about the same as my old ones and stuck them on.
                            They have been working fine for several years now.
                            72 TS185
                            77 XS750
                            78 SR500
                            80 XS850
                            80 XS1100 Midnight Special
                            81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Is there a guide for dialing up the stock shocks? Mine are at the lowest setting and I'm 225lbs, plus when i take swmbo it's not going to get any less
                              Si Parker
                              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
                              X