big meats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopper (Mick) wrote:

if you are going to go as far as spacing the drive use a split rim and billet centre that is the easiest way
    Mick,

Can you point me to a source for slit rims? I would like to explore that option. I have the equipment to fabricate a billet center and hub.

Thanks,
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

V-max rear tyre

Dennyz

The photo looks great - porportions of that V-Max wheel seem to really suit the bike (from that angle).

Good luck with the R&D - if you have to go 20mm left then the middle drive gear at the engine end will have to be spaced too maybe???

I suppose the UJ in the shaft will accomodate the shaft working 20mm over to one side perhaps.

How about a single sided rear swinging arm (a la Honda VFR's) with an exposed shaft?

Hmmm the possibilities (and engineering complexities) are maybe endless.
      XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
      Guzzi 850
      Z1000

Comment

Aahh! It must be nice! to have a garage that is! I've got the time, but not the facilities. I suppose that equation will switch on me. I wonder balancing equations can be applied physically as opposed to the mathematical variation?

To add to the technical aspect:

Would it be easier to remove the shaft tube and fabricate a "seal housing" for the middle gear and rear diff leaving the shaft exposed and opening up some space for the "tyre" (as Chopper would put it I like the "original" spelling of words better than the American versions, they have more character!
        80sg "Reaper"

Comment

hi guys,denny try a search for "compomotive" for the split rims you can get all sorts of offsets,get two car wheel narrow halfs?the split rims are popular with harley guys so maybe there are bike split rims available in us? caprocrimini,no you cant do that with the swing arm as the tube holds the wheel on,i run a bare shaft but my bike is a hardtail frame graham, a single sider is possible but you need two uj's like the prop on a truck.this lengthens an already long bike by a few inches.
          mick
          xs1.1s(x2)
          gsxr1100(1127)
          gsx1100g(x2)
          trophy900
          bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Hey all, would the swingarm from the v-max fit? Just a thought. dennyz.........whats the latest? I wish we all lived closer so we could all but heads in the same shop......but I guess thats the beauty or the internet!! Keep us all posted

stumpy

Comment

Stmpy Wrote:
              Hey all, would the swingarm from the v-max fit?
              I don't have a VMax swing arm to test with. However, I stopped by the Yammy dealer and check one out. The VMax swing arm looks too long and possible too wide for our frame.

The best option I have come up with so far, was to add a second u-joint on the final drive end. I haven't figured how I would do it. The up-side to this is that it would require the least modification to the rest of the bike. The middle drive could stay where it is, the swing arm pivots would not need to be messed with, and 160 would easily fit (possible a 170).

Something I notice that concerns me is that the number of tire option for a 15" rim are very limited. I did not find may manufactures that offer a 15 over 150mm.

Stay tuned.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by chopper
                you need two uj's like the prop on a truck.
                hi dennyz,been there done it,5 years ago on a 1100 virago 15"car wheel 200/70/15 metz rear (bike tyre) inboard brakes.i can answer any questions you have,if they are not too vague,you wont get it to look nice on a bike with suspension tho!
                mick
                xs1.1s(x2)
                gsxr1100(1127)
                gsx1100g(x2)
                trophy900
                bonneville750

Comment

Den, Great idea! Would the stress be less if the "other" universal was a mid distance from rear and front, versus towards the rear? JIT As to tires, you mean everybody has gone to a "newer" size? And there are very few 15 inchers? Keep up the good work man, I know you will find away! You are still PO you didn't win First in that Snohomish Bike show, for "off shore"!!

Comment

cant you read?
                    mick
                    xs1.1s(x2)
                    gsxr1100(1127)
                    gsx1100g(x2)
                    trophy900
                    bonneville750

Comment

Working...
                    X