What the heck are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck are these?

They are little rubber spacers that are between the cooling fins on both sides of the engine.

I am assuming these aren't supposed to be there but...

They're on my engines too.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Actually, they are. They are to reduce the buzz and vibration of the fins. Not sure if they really work or not, but the designers put them on, so....
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

little ruber thingies

Legion has it they are stabilization pucks. Late in the the development stage for the cooling fin design, they discovered that the cooling fins acted like small wings and at an undisclosed speed would cause the bike to become air-born, so to prevent having to go to the expense of redesigning the engine and to prevent future problems with the FFA, and the requirement that all XS riders have pilots licenses they installed those little rubber pucks to break up the air flow and keep the bikes on the ground. If you remove them ,don't say you haven't been warned.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

They're vibration dampers. It's a Yamaha thing. They put 'em on their KT100 go kart engines too. Evidently, the large fins can oscillate at certain rpms causing vibrations and damage to the fins. This dampens that oscillation so that they don't vibrate and break over time.
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

stabilization pucks

I don't know think I like wa407mpp's story the best
            and the front end does seem to get a little lite when it's running in the tripple digits.

mro

Comment

Working...
            X