Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting chrome?

OK, I need some input.
    I want to paint my front and rear fenders black. Any of you know what the best procedure is to do this? what primer will stick to the chrome? Which paint is best.
    I will prolly use something out of a can as I don't have a spray gun.
    thanks
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Your best bet is to take the fenders to a plating shop and have them remove the chrome with a reverse-electroplating process. You won't get anything to stick very well to the chrome.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I powder-coated my fenders, but I would expect the prep work to be the same. Chrome parts I have painted I used the following process.

Scuff the chrome with 220 grit wet/dry (use water). Make sure to sand out any rust and fill any pits. I wear rubber gloves to keep oils away from surface.

Clean surface with a good detergent like 409 or Simple Green. Dry by placing in an oven at 400 deg. for 20 minutes. Let cool to around 70 degrees.

Make sure primer, paint and part are around 70-80 degrees. Warm the primer and paint under running hot water. Shake can and repeat warming until the paint is fully warmed up.

Use a good primer compatible with the paint. A bonding or sealer primer works best, but I don't know of any in a rattle can. I recommend an epoxy base paint

Don't try to completely cover with primer in a single coat. First coat should be a light dusting. The second coat should cover completely. Take extra care to cover the hard to get places.

Apply the paint the same as the primer for the first two coats. Third (last) coat should be the flood coat. This is the tricky one. If the paint and object are around 70 degree, the paint will be much less likely to run. After the part has set for 45min. to an hour, place in oven at 150 deg. for 30 minutes.

If anything goes wrong. Set the part aside and let it dry. When completely dry (24hrs), sand with 220 and water to remove any problem. If the chrome surface is exposed, re-prime the sanded spot.

I try to keep the primer & paint layers thin and even. Rattle can paint does not dry the same as spray paints due to the propellant. Allow 20 minutes between coats of primer and paint.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Fender painting

Hey there Wayne,

My fenders were quite pitted and had lots of rust along the top edge as well as the inside/wheel well. I used a big 3M synthetic drill bit grinding wheel to scuff up mine as well as to remove lots of the rust , that chrome is actually pretty tough, and even with the grinding wheel, it took a fair amount of pressure and time to get them scuffed up enough to where I thought the paint would stick.

Then I used this Rust converter paint that I sprayed on both the inside and the top surface where the micro pits of rust were. Then I applied a primer coat, then a couple of layers of RATTLE can stuff, then a clear coat, and they seem to be holding up fairly well. I like the look of the extra color on the fenders vs. the chrome, and a lot cheaper than trying to get them re-chromed!!

Good luck, send some pics when you get it done!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just went down to Wal-mart and got some cans out of the locked cabinet they have in the automotive section. Dupli-Color works great. Get the sandable filler primer, primer sealer, actual color and then some clear coat. That clear coat really makes it shine. Let it dry really good then take some 2000 grit sand paper and color sand it. I bought some clear coat polishing compound made by turtle wax and used that to buff with. Then I just waxed it. I was really impressed with my rattle can job and so was everybody else that seen it.

Comment

Working...
          X