Starting Problem/Blowing out the carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem/Blowing out the carb

Hello all....is there a certain procedure inorder to start these machines, like for example do you have to apply the clutch or something to make this thing turn over.? If I jump the terminals on the starter relay she will turn over fine....but from the start button.....NOTHING!! I have never started this machine so I am very green on how these things function.....please help...

TKs
    Peter.

What kind of machine is it?

Comment

It is a 81 1100 Midnight Special.....

Comment

It does have a clutch safety switch. Have you tested it?

Comment

Assuming that you have the "stop/run" switch on the right side controls in the "run" position, I would then see if if you have power to that switch.
          Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
          '80 XS1100SG (mine)
          '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

What about the tip over switch?

Comment

Start

Tks for all the tips......great! But what is a clutch safety switch?? Is it the neutral switch??

Comment

turn over

Yep I have the tip over sensor in the right postion, and I do have power to the switch...does the bike have to be in the upright postion??

Comment

Re: Start

Originally posted by Peter
                  Tks for all the tips......great! But what is a clutch safety switch?? Is it the neutral switch??
                  It is in the clutch lever perch. There shoud be two wires leading to the clutch lever. It prevents cranking in gear.

Comment

turn over

Really about the clutch wires hummmmmmm...I don't have anywires going to the clutch handle...

Comment

Hey Peter,

The safety cut off switch on the clutch lever is right where the clutch cable fits into the clutch lever housing, similarly to the brake lever switch on the front brake!

The LG shows a different starter cut off relay near the battery that is NOT on the other XS11s! The Tipover switch is a different relay up near the front of the bike under the tank!

Yamaha added an extra cut off switch on the XJ....the sidestand, but it's not on the 81LG.

IF you have power going to the Red/white wire on the starter solenoid, and also coming from the Blue/White that goes to the starter switch on the handlebars, and when you GROUND that wire to a known good ground on the frame, AND the starter solenoid doesn't engage, then it does sound like the starter solenoid is fragged!

I would also think you could pick up a 2 wire solenoid like for a FORD from a local auto store, and install it and test to see if the starter could then engage and work!!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Fixed

Okay all well I did all the checks you guys said for me to do and then I took off the starter relay, and I jumped the two red/white wires together, and it turns over with the switch. I ordered a new one from Yamaha 80 bones. So I hope now she will actually start, with just the jumper wire, I don't really know what the other 2 wires do, but she turns over.

Tks all
                        Peter.

Comment

Blowing out the carb

Hello I got the beast to actually run today, but two things wrong, as she is cranking over the number 1 cyl blows out air out the filter, and so far only 1 and 4 are actually firing, the chrome exhaust on 1 and 4 are blue in color, and 2 and 3 are cold. I grounded out the plugs to see if I have spark there and I do, I bought the accell coil and wire set, I have 60 psi in oil pressure I hope that is good. Any tips???

TKs all
                          Peter.

Comment

Your carbs are way out of sync.

Comment

carb

Really so that explains all my troubles?? Could you explain why you say what you said??

Tks

Comment

Working...
                              X