Painting exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting exhaust

I have a non-stock Yamaha exhaust that is very discolored especially right by the engine. Is it possible to paint the exhaust with some high temp paint or is this going to look worse than it does now?

Has anybody tried to paint their exhaust and if so, how does it look? Did the paint hold up or is it cracking and peeling?

Thanks

hi temp paint

Dupli-color 1200 F w/ceramic works good on mine. It'll hold up good unless you are running too lean of a fuel mixture.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Did you use a high temp primer also? Is it just a matter of scuffing up the chrome, priming and painting or does it get more involved with sandblasting/stripping the chrome?

Comment

prep

I didn't know that you had chrome pipes. I couldn't tell you for sure, bit I think this paint would have a hard time sticking to chrome unless you sanded it down real good. Do a search at top of page. I think I recall somone painting chrome pipes before.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

wapam
          I painted my chrome pipes last year with the (VHT) hi temp flat black from PJ1 products and it has held up quite well. I did however sand blast them first but I am sure that you could ruff them up with a 600 grit as well. The only thing to watch is that if you have them off the bike they scratch very easily until they have been brought up to operating temp to cure the paint. I had an old oven that I hooked up in the garage to cure them first, DON'T try it in your wifes oven in the house, not good
          Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
          XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Working...
          X