safe rpm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe rpm question

What is the max rpm one of these engines can handle before you start to destroy valves and such? I wonder because with a 750 FD mod and a turbocharger, how fast you you make an 11 go?
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Not quite sure... it would depend on a lot of things like spring tension, mileage, and such. Just realize that it's a pretty fair bet that every one of them that you own has blown right past this "Safe Point!" ya lead-handed nut!!

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

yeah

I want to find out when I get my 80 head redid soon....Hey hobby, Do a search about using an inexpensive GM smog pump as a supercharger for a motorcycle, I had seen it before somewhere....I think that if one could redline the xs motor with the 750FD mod....165mph ???
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

rpm

These are old motors and I think even 8500 would be pushin' it.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

true true. can you see the gears in my head turning? I doub't I will ever be able to do this but I would like to ponder is some more. Would it be a safe bet to say that a stock engine should never go above 9k? At 9k and a 750 FD, what would your speed be?
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

I think someone else will chime in here with a scientific math formula, but my last outing at the Talihina rally with the 750/850 FD and 8k RPM, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 if the tire is close to new.

You better get those wiggles outta your azz end (I'm talking about your bike ya freak!) if you are going to try that. All that schoolin' will go down the drain in a greasy smear mark! lol. Yeah I said greasy... I ate that military food too!

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I think I have it dialed in now but I am not sure yet. I think I am going to put some money into my rear shocks and play around with my front forks a little. You know, even with that wobble, I had your top end. I have gained a few pounds so maby one day we will be on an even playing field.
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

RPM

LOL well if you increase spring pressure and with head work you can spin wm pretty hi but i use my CBR1000 when i wana realy fly 103 in first gear is a rush LOL
                John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

So you say we can put heavier duty valve springs on to furthur max out rpms? Sounds like a good idea to try. Its too bad there isn't a good way to test this to see how far you can go without endangering a good engine.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Rpm

well spring pressure will help reduce valve float at hi RPm teh bottom end on these engines is pretty tough in the 70"s when i was at honda school we built alot of Turbo bikes esp the CBX's and we ran them way past safe operating limits but they were also brand new bikes not 30 yrs old i anm building a hot rod out of my 80 i ahve i will bore do alot of head work new valves and it will be injected with a turbo al depends how much time and money you have.
                    John
                    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                    2000 Concours
                    84 Kawi KLR600
                    79 XR250
                    John

Comment

Maximan put some aftermarket springs in his bike, and he could run it up to 9,500 RPM without any "float". I think he said it hit 10,000 RPM on one dyno test!
                      IIRC, the STANDARD with the 750FD should top out at 152 mph at redline. with the higher rate valve springs, you should be able to hit 160, if you dare!!!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

At those type of rpm's I would also upgrade the rod bolts. I don't know what grade of bolts they used back in the day but to hit 10,000 rpm for a few seconds is one thing but to hold it for a few minutes is another. Things can come apart real quick. If you are going to go thru the trouble to replace the springs I would also find a good set of valve keepers to hold them together and I would also go ahead and check the rods. Maybe have them magnaflexed. I think that's what they call it. It checks them for cracks. I mean I don't know what you want out of your engine as you may or may not want to go this far into it. But if I wanted a high rpm motor I'd go thru it with a fine tooth comb.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in.
                        Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                        87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                        93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                        71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                        69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

"one time" after Igot my E running I took it to a special spot in the country.
                          Long straight road, slight downhill, tal wind, no side roads or farms for a couple of miles.
                          Took the bike to (according to the guages) 143 MPH @ 9,000 RPM. Bone skock 78 with 8,000 miles on it. (well, a small windscreen).
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi Pat,

My bike is an SG with a 17" wheel from a Euro "standard" swapped in.

It has run happily 500rpm into the red in top gear on the road for a few miles and on the dyno.......briefly!. the math for top speed is beyond me.......

AlanB
                            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

RPM&quot;s

when i build my next engine with the 1196 Kit i will have rods shot penned to help releive stress, then drill so they will accept ARP rod bolts,the valve springs will have a substanstialy higher spring rate and per pounds of holding force with new retainers. and everything will get balanced so at higher RPMs so nothing comes up and hits me in The A^&.The cams will be reprofiled by web cams and hopefully everything will work together nicely
                              John
                              06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                              2000 Concours
                              84 Kawi KLR600
                              79 XR250
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X