Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke/Enricher

Hey guys/gals,

My choke/enricher doesn't have a half or full setting. What I mean is that it slides right back in when I pull it out. It was suggested that whoever cleaned/rebuilt them before me, put them together incorrectly. It wouldn't surprise me with some of the things I've come across with this bike.

Can anybody explain how I should do this or the order of the parts? I have the exploded view of the carbs, but the guy at the yamaha shop told me there are parts missing in the picture. I can either take the carbs apart (done it twice already on this set...I'm sure I have one more cleaning to do lol), and take pictures for you to comment on. Or somebody can PM me or talk me through it. I'll happily give my cell to anybody that wants it.

I'm also putting new plugs, oil, and adding sea foam to my fuel tonight on my 80g. I need to get the Sea Foam Deep Clean for the air inlets on my carbs too. Any words of caution or tips?

Jason
    1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
    4 to 2 Exhaust
    K&N Pod Filters
    Fuel Filters
    Inline shut off valves
    Slotted Rotors
    My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
    Non-gasoline conversion

If you look at the rod that goes too all the carbs, you will notice the following;
    there are four "divots" in the rod, one for each carb. This is for the connection to each enricher.
    Carb body #1&4 have a hole drilled in the front of the "slide" the rod goes through. There should be a spring and a small ball bearing inside this hole. There are three divots next to each other on the back side of the rod, and they line up with this bearing. This is what keeps the enricher lever in position one or two.
    If you are missing these, I MAY have at least one spare. When you do install them, use Silicone Grease, as it's water resistant and will stay for a long time. Pack the grease around the spring, put it in the hole and push it GENTLY to the bottom with something. I use a round tooth pick with one end cut off, so it's flat. Then install the bearing, push down with the tool and install the rod.
    If the bearing "pops out", you WILL be buying a new one. they are impossible to find!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

fuel enricher

Bikebandit.com has those balls + springs. It says they are just 1/8" ball bearing. Might be able to get at a hardware store.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

sometimes all the balls are there but the rod is rotated few half degrees. That would cause it to to catch very well.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Jason what got misplaced on reassembly of your carbs was either the detent spring or most likely the detent ball...or the common shaft is out of place, meaning that the resess that the detent ball fits into is not positioned right if this where the case there would be drag on the choke lever as it was moved but viberation would allow the return springs to close the chokes CHECK THIS FIRST...... ok what you have are enrichment valves (plungers)from here on out we will call them chokes, one on each carb with a yoke connecting them to a common (shared) shaft... all plungers and the choke lever are spring loaded to move them to the off position,,,the detent ball and spring drop into a cone shaped hole in the common shaft to hold the shaft and all chokes in the desired position. the choke shaft passes thru the carbs. from left to right, you will notice a small hole drilled into the front of the carb directly in line with the choke shaft this is where the detent spring and ball go...if memory serves me and it aint as good as it once was only the left hand carb has a detent ball and spring, maybe both outside carbs but I don't think so...anyway what you do is with the carbs off back out the screws that lock each choke yoke to the common shaft and remove the choke lever, then rotote the carbs so the front side is up and slowly pull the common shaft out thru each carb,, watch closely the front hole where the detent balls belong..once this is done you can inspect to see if both the spring and detent ball/ balls are in place...the spring will probably be there but not the ball,,, if the detent ball is not available from the dealer use drill bits to determine the hole size and try to locate a ball bearing that is slightly smaller from a bearing company...or from a junked carb. when you have the parts it is really quite simple put the spring and ball thru the hole in the front of the carb and slide the common shaft into the first carb but not so much as to block the hole now use a punch or drill bit (backwards) about half the diameter of the hole to hold the ball down while you slide the common shaft over the ball, once the shaft is over the ball, remove the punch / drill bit and slide the shaft thru the remainder of the carbs. I'm sorry this is so wordy but it is my lack of confidently comunicating this... not your ability to understand good luck Larry R
          Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
          XS1100LG Precious current
          XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
          KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Ray nailed it. Note that the 3 divots that he refers to only line up with the spring/bearing assembly in carb #1, even though the spring/bearings are in both carbs #1 & #4.
            Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
            '80 XS1100SG (mine)
            '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

In one of the other threads someone suggested that the ball and spring in a zerk fitting may be the same size. Has anyone tried this?

I bought some of these springs and balls from the Yamaha dealer a long time back and as I recall they came 5 in an envelope and were about $5.00 a pack. Probably something like $15.00 now if you can still find them.

I found this is mostly a one-time thing. Once you hear that little ball bounce off the table and onto your floor and into oblivion you will remember it the next time. I wrap a shop rag around the area when removing the rod. Helps keep my balls in check...(can I say this?).
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Tons of info...

Thanks everybody! I'm at work, so I can't work on it now. I'll post an update tonight though. Or as soon as I run into a tough spot...whichever comes first.

The long messages are VERY welcome!

Thanks for the tips...I'm glad I have plenty of shop rags!
                1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
                4 to 2 Exhaust
                K&N Pod Filters
                Fuel Filters
                Inline shut off valves
                Slotted Rotors
                My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
                Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

Sit on a blanket on the floor whenever you are working with small easy to lose parts. That way if you should drop something, it won't have far to fall, and it won't bounce off the blanket.

Comment

"Sit on a blanket on the floor"

And if you get sleepy... you can just curl up next to your loved one... your XS of course! As an added bonus... since most of us spend too much time working and messing with the bikes that they aren't actually welcome in their bed some times.....

Gotta beat a dog house?!?

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Those little indent balls can be found at any gunsmith place. They use 'em for all kinds of things; and it's the same size as what's required for our choke/indent rod fix. If I remember correctly, a few years back when I had to run some down~~they're exactly
                      .125 inch in diameter. The gunsmith I got them from had half of a small bottle full~~all same size. I had one with me to make sure I'd get the right size; had measured it anyhow~~knew the diameter. I got four from the guy; he wouldn't even charge me for 'em.
                      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

best way i found...

to remove and replace both the spring and the ball is to cover the side holes when you remove the rod....then thru the top hole, insert a pin punch and attach that to a strong magnet.....attach the magnet to pin punch to grab ball/spring and remove magnet from pin punch to release...caught this one from one of the other member about chasing their balls across the floor.....also never try to blow out the pilot jet with rubber gloves on....3 hours and never found the s*cker...ross
                        rebel devil
                        1979 xs 1100f standard
                        authenic historical vehicle
                        42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                        "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                        "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                        '96 venture cct.....installed!
                        stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Originally posted by oldnortonrider
                          they're exactly .125 inch in diameter.
                          Both of my spare carb bodies will only take a ball approx 0.115" dia, not 0.125".

I made a bathroom vanity a number of years ago with some low-budget ball-bearing drawer slides. Every couple of years, one of the slides blows apart and loses its little balls. I gather them up, and have a small stock on hand.

Let me know if you need one.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                          X