Cam Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Problem?

While I was replacing the valve shims I noticed that a few of the cam lobes have what look like scratches on the tips of the lobes. At first I though it was just on the exhaust cam but then I looked more closely and found the problem on one of the intake cam lobes too. Is that a serious problem? None of the shims were scratched or scuffed so what causes it?
    72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

I'm not sure what causes this unless a little piece of grit got up there but I have the same thing on my #1 intake lobe. I noticed it about four years ago when I had the cover off so I have checked it during my Spring tune-up ever since. Just looked at mine again last weekend. Does'nt seem to be changing or getting worse and my valve clearances are holding so no apparent wear is taking place. So, who knows??
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Any chance that a PO had turned the cams with no shims in the buckets?

Comment

wear

My 79F intake cam has the same wear on lobe #1. I always keep my bike on it's sidestand, so I figured the oil collects there and mabye any dirt particles would tend to hang out there too. #1 exhaust cam has some wear too but not quite as much. Engine has 75K on it and valves are quiet. Ride on!
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by John
          Any chance that a PO had turned the cams with no shims in the buckets?
          You never know but it feels smooth so I guess it's OK.
          72 TS185
          77 XS750
          78 SR500
          80 XS850
          80 XS1100 Midnight Special
          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Working...
          X