KN pod filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KN pod filters

Hello has anyone used the KN pod filters?? I am fitting mine in and as you all know who has used these filters that on the right side pet cock the fuel line hoses is smack dab on the #4 filter, making it almost impossible to fit the hoses, does anyone have a fix for this???

TKs
    Peter.

model

Which model XS do you have? It doesn't say in your profile.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Pod Filters

Hello....I have a 81 1100 Yamaha Midnight Special LH model.

tks
      Peter.

Comment

pods

I used to have K+N pods on my 79 Special, not anymore, but I ran the left petcock line to carbs 3+4 and right petcock line to 1+2. This was after eliminating the octypus. I had no problem that way, but your K+N's might be a different shape than mine.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Filter

Hello I have the oval filters......what main jets did you use???
          TKs
          Peter

Comment

oval filters

Yeah, I had the oval filters, still got 'em on a shelf somewhere. The fuel lines were a little tight in there IIRC, but it seemed to work ok. As for the jets, the PO b@stardized the carbs, he had way too big pilots and too small mains, broke off pilot screws, etc, don't remember the numbers of the jets. I went back to stock airbox. There are some good guidelines here if you do a search at the top of the page on jetting your carbs with pods.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

he had way too big pilots and too small mains

Hmmmm.... sounds like XJ carbs! lol. They come stock with 112.5 mains and 47.5 pilots.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

pilots

This guy had HUGE pilots in there (off brand) and all 4 pilot screws all the way in tightened to 50 ft-lbs Had a heck of a time getting them out. Broke every one. Tiny mains, 115's? She's happy now, 42.5 pilots & 145 mains. These are definately '79 carbs, brass floats, etc. Thing idles smooth at 800 RPM now.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Tiny mains, 115's

Yeah, I moved up a size to those tiny 115 mains when I installed the pod filters...

It makes me curious how something that has that size of main (112.5-115), keeps up with something with 145's? If you try to tell me it won't, I'd love to prove you wrong..

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

how does it keep up?

Bigger intake valves on 81's than 79's mabye?
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

You gotta remember Tr, that he has the older carbs that came stock with 137.5's but only because it has to share with the pilot circuit.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Filters

Hello....I have the DYno stage 3 kit in my bike, for the following mods, 1196 wiseco pistons, mid-range cams from Web Cam, Mac exhaust, Accell coil and wire set, and the 4 KN pod filters. So I hope the jets are the right size, one jetting cal says I need to use size 145 main fuel jet if not larger. Haven't started the bike as of yet...soon though....I hope :-}

TKs
                        Peter.

Comment

I have the same problem with the pod filters getting in the way of the petcocks (80 mns). I haven't devised a way to fix it yet. If you find something out let us know. It seems to put too tight a bend in the fuel line coming out of the petcock, pinches the line. I saw at mikesxs he has 90 degree fittings for the ends of the petcocks, but not sure if they would fit mine or not.

Comment

I have the K&N replica 'XS Performance' oval filters from mikesxs. I run the fuel lines together into a T, single line through a big auto type filter, then into another T, and out to both fuel nipples on the carbs. This set up allows the fuel lines to run over the tops of the filters before the T. The single line/filter run behind the pods. The single line hits the T under the filters where it then splits and comes up from underneath to the fuel inlets.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I found out how to use the dual k&n pod filters. I used a piece of copper piping 2.5" long for each carb, used some fuel filler neck hose from the auto parts store ($14 a foot, but needed less than 1 foot) and created some filter spacers. I will try and remember to take a pic of them. Works pretty slick.

The only reason I used the copper drain pipe is it was sitting in the cupboard, and it is easy to make nice square cuts with a pipe cutter. Hope this helps out.

Comment

Working...
                              X