pulser coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulser coils

My XS1100 quits after a couple of miles and my mechanic claims I need a new set of pick up coils. I can't find these anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion?
    I've had this bike since 1978 and it is my baby.... I need to fix her. We have a short riding season here in maine and I don;'t want to miss it!
    Thanks!

Have you tried Bike Bandit? That is where I got mine a few years ago. They also can be repaired. Look around in the tech tips. Somewhere there is a good description of how to repair them
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

johnw,

Your bike totally quits after a couple of miles? Doesn't sound like pulser coils, sounds more like fuel starvation. Check the tank cap vent?

Comment

John,

Welcome, I, like you am new to this forum and also an original owner. Bought mine in 1981. Last year "My Baby" started running erratically. It was driving me mad , until I found the XS11.com website and read the tech tips. There is a very common problem with our bikes pulse coils. But the problem isn't the coils themselves, it's the very fine wires that leave the coils. These wires send information to the ignition unit. These tiny wires are constantly being flexed due to the vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanism and eventually break down. I was able to cut and re-solder mine back together and my bike has been running like a top ever since. Go to "Tech Tips", then "repairs", then to "The Coil Pick-Up Fix" for a lot more information. This may be your problem, maybe not!!!!!! Keep us posted and I'm sure some one will be able to help solve what ever it is.

Good luck,
        "I have friends I haven't even met yet"

Original owner of a 1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Thanks, I'll give this a shot... it would certainly save me a lot of money if this is the case!! John W

Comment

If it runs good and then quits, double check your fuel lines to make sure they are not kinked under the tank. If you are running an octopus make sure the vaccuum hose isn't leaking. I was riding a few years back when the hose worked itself loose and the bike quit. Took some head scratching to finally figure out.
            Ernie
            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

The "E" model does NOT have the Octy.
              They DO have problems with the wires, though. When you fix the wires, and they WILL need to be fixed, leave the "crimp" LOOSE. You will see what I am saying, once you are in the pick up coil area. I tried to tell Yamaha about the problem late in '78, because of MY bike.
              The pick up coils will usually cause problems at idle, with one coil cutting out, or at speed, with one coil again cutting out. If the bike just quits after about two or three miles, check for crimped fuel lines, vacuum lines NOT connected to the petcocks, or the vent in the cap being clogged.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi JohnW,

Like DiverRay says, you don't have a fuel octopus (aka Fuel Diaphragm, it combines the fuel from two petcocks then splits it into two lines to the carbs).

If your problem occurs when riding at a constant throttle it's probably not the pickup coil wires, check your fuel lines.

If your problem occurs when accelerating or decelerating (because then the vacuum advance will move the timing plate and move the pickup coil wires) it's probably a bad pickup coil wire.

I'd bet it was the pickup wires, here's the Pickup Coil Wire Repair
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
                X