Rich Or Lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Or Lean?

I have an 81 1100S. Its running rich. Could someone tell me which way to adjust the floats to make it run leaner? Also which way should I adjust the air jets on the of the carbs to lean it out? Thanks for all your help

Raising the float measurement will make it more lean. Example, on my 79 SF, stock is 25.7MM. Raising the floats to 27MM will lower the fuel level in the bowl. Changing the floats to 24 will raise the fuel level and it will flood. Having said this, the carbs on my 79 are pretty forgiving with the float level. I run them at 27MM with great results.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD SET MINE AT? ITS A 81 1100S. I HAVE A 4 INTO 1 AND POD FILTERS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Comment

Read the plugs

You must change and test then read the plugs and change again until you get it right. One of the problems of going to 4-1 and pods. Probably will never run as good as stock......
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

WHAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO START? THANKS

Comment

I think the setting for your bike should be 23.5mm. I ride an older one, so I'm NOT positive on this. I would also check the valve and seat for leaks, as the seat on the later model carbs have an "O" ring that can leak!
            Once you have the floats set, and you have bench checked the carbs for leaks, you can test. With NEW plugs, fire up the bike, let it warm up for about 30 seconds, and then start to ride. After about 2 minutes, you should be able to shut the enricher circuit and start the test. I usually start at low RPM, about 2K to 2,500, and run it for about 30 seconds, pull in the clutch and kill the engine. Pull off the road, pull the spark plugs and check the color. Write all this down in a log, and take pictures if you have a camera that will do a good job. Put the plugs back in, fire it up, and then test at about 3,500 to 4K RPM.
            You are looking for plugs that are wet or black after a SHORT time, or if they start black, and after the second run they will not clean up to a tan or brown color. Remember, fuel problems will show up as 1,2 OR 3,4, or any ONE Cyl., and electrical problems will be #1,4 or #2,3.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i ADJUSTED MY FLOATS ANDIT RUNS FANTASTIC!!!!
              THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Comment

Working...
              X