Now it runs like ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now it runs like ...

Garbage when I'm at a cruising speed on the freeway, or in the same RPM range in lower gears (sorry...my tach doesn't work, so I can't give you a range). Basically between 60-70mph in 5th, especially if on a slight incline, it just sputters and REALLY goes flat. I brought it up in a previous post as a surging feeling, but since removing my carb holders and removing all of the RTV from them that PO had liberally applied, then wrapping them and re-installing, the problem has gotten WAY worse. I didn't open the carbs at all, and I've sprayed around the intake w/carb cleaner while it was running since re-assembly to see if there was some kind of a leak @ the head...nothing noticed as far as change in RPM.
    Down shifting while maintaining the same throttle position doesn't seem to help either. The only way to make it go away is to open up the throttle more, which could cause a problem with me and San Diego's finest.
    With everything I've read in here about the misery encountered with cleaning the carbs, I'm honestly pretty apprehensive about tearing into them. Soccer4m has generously offered to let me borrow his sync tool one weekend. Would that be a reasonable place to start? BTW, I did the whole SeaFoam thing prior to removing those boots and adding in-line filters.
    I have noticed that it starts up a lot easier in the morning, although it seems like the time it takes to get to that point when the RPM's increase and I click in to mid-choke is longer than before.
    I'm baffled.
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

runs flat

Mike, check your plugs to see if they're fouled and check for kinked fuel line. Are the fuel filters installed in the right direction? They have a flow arrow. HTH.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Mike,
      Go with the sync FIRST and FAST. IF it does not clear it up, you may need to "clean the carbs". It's NOT that hard! Once they are off, turn upside down to drain the fuel, pull the float bowls off, and use the spray SeaFoam or Berryman's B12. Set ALL THE FLOATS TO THE SAME LEVEL, and then BENCH TEST FOR LEAKS. Once good, reassemble, install, resync, and RIDE.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

also

Forgot to add, is the vac. advance hooked up to the carb port and not the boot port?
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Might be ....

PU coil wires gone bad too .... everyone is focused on carbs here and that very well may be the problem ..... BUT .... if you haven't checked 'em yet, it might be a good idea to do so. It's pretty easy with an multi-meter and the seat off. These wires, when separated or down to the very last strand, can cause a plethora of performance issues that'll bring on hair loss for sure.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I vote with thewiz. That is EXACTLY what mine was doing when my PUC wires started to go. If you haven't done it, DO IT! Even if they aren't bad now, they WILL be at some point,
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Wiz, 81XSproject,
              Do you all mean PUC wires or are you referring to Coil/Spark plug wires?
              Straighten me out please.

Thanks
              John
              Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
              '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
              '78 CB750F ( The F)
              '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
              New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
              Then: '76 CB550K
              '78 CB750F
              '84 VF1100S
              And still Looking!

Comment

The wires that connect your pick-up coils under the left crank cover are constantly being flexed back and forth as the vacuum advance/retard unit rotates the pickup coil mounting plate back and forth. After so long the wires start breaking inside the insulation. They will "look" fine, but they are not. Like I said if they aren't bad now, they WILL be sooner than later.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yup ... what 81 said

A search on 'pick up coil wires' had almost 90 threads .... pretty good readin' when you own an Eleven too. The factory manual describes the test very well and I'll bet it's repeated on more than one thread .... but here it is again:

Unplug the 4 prong plug from the TCI and check resistance

1. White/red to White/green (number one pick up coil)

2. Yellow/green to Yellow/red (number 2 pick up coil)

Readings should be 720 Ohm (+/- 20%)

If different than that, you have definately diag'ed at least one problem. I think there is a tech tip that covers the repair pretty well .... I followed it on two of my current three
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Under static conditions, broken pick-up coil wires can still check out okay with a meter. For the definitive answer, you need to pull vigorously at the wires while testing, either with a meter while the motor is not running, or just yanking at the wires when the motor is running. Don't worry about having to be gentle with this. If you can pull these wires apart with your fingers, they were already broken or mostly broken.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the great tips guys.
                      That's one quirk I hadn't heard yet.
                      I'll be on the lookout.
                      John
                      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                      '78 CB750F ( The F)
                      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                      Then: '76 CB550K
                      '78 CB750F
                      '84 VF1100S
                      And still Looking!

Comment

.... pull vigorously at the wires ....

Yup .... it's a good feeling when you tug on one of those PU coil wires and you watch the insulation stretching, getting thinner, stretching more .... then finally ... it just breaks. Bingo ...
                        80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

I tried all sorts of stuff to 'test' my PUC wire and couldn't get it to falter. I did them anyways...problem solved. Doing it now will take them out of the equation for future problems.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                          X