Carb float set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb float set up

Hello I am using the clear tube method to set my float heights, but, I get the level good and then the level shoots up and starts to pour out of the carb......:-( Any suggestions as to why this is happening??

TKs
    Peter.

Hey Peter,

I was having the same problem, I kept cleaning the carbs and checking the float height. Turned out to be the o-rings around the seat body. I ordered new needles and seats, problem solved.

Remove the retaining ring/clip and check how much movement you have between the valve body and the carb body.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

One thing i've noticed too, is that the
      float can catch on the side of the bowl when re-assembling the carb.
      Quick check is to blow gently,in the fuel lines (with empty bowls)while turning the carbs up-side down. Right side up and air should flow, upside down and air should not.
      John
      John
      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
      '78 CB750F ( The F)
      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
      Then: '76 CB550K
      '78 CB750F
      '84 VF1100S
      And still Looking!

Comment

Pay attention too to how low the floats drop in the bowls. Most people don't check that. There is no known spec for it either as far as I know. I had a persistant gas leak into the airbox untill I figured out that one float was dropping much lower than the rest and jamming open. I adjusted it to match the others and I haven't had a leak since.

Tim
        Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
        1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
        23mm float height
        120 main jets
        42.5 pilot jets
        drilled stock airbox with K&N
        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
        spade fusebox
        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Also look for "divots" on the float tabs, where the float pins contact. Mine was leaking fuel to the carbs, & it was rhe float pins "hanging" in the divots on the tabs.

Comment

living the nightmare....

hey there peter.....first off...."may the force be with you".......good luck with the setup....ya might wanna look into my "the $64,000 question is" thread....have been messing around with my carbs 3 weeks and still have to get them right...sort of when good ideas go bad....might of even been the earthquake that messed them up.....who knows.....ross
            rebel devil
            1979 xs 1100f standard
            authenic historical vehicle
            42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
            "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
            "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
            '96 venture cct.....installed!
            stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
            i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

carb

Thank's for all the replies here...cheers, well I worked out all the carb level's to a "T", except for the number 2 carb, the level again stays good for like a min or two then she goes up. So I'm hoping that when the bike is running and sucking the fuel the level will never have a chance to shoot up.

I'll let you all know how it goes....I also have size 138 main jet I hope that does the trick.

Peter....

Comment

Working...
              X