Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it eat batteries?

1982 XJ1100.
    I got the OEM battery, Yuasa, so I know it's the right battery for that bike. Well, the first one lasted about two months. After a major kick-boxing match with the dealer that sold it to me, he agreed to replace it. Now, after just a few weeks, this battery won't hold a charge for more than one day. I have to constantly keep it on the trickle charger. Even after sitting for just 24 hours, it won't have enough juice to start the bike. I've checked the charging system and that is fine. Why won't this thing hold a charge?
    The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Charging

Sounds like a drain someplace on your bike when its turned off . You might want to check the ground straps as well cause the charging system can work but if the neg isnt clean and making a good connection the battery wont stay up. I think there is also a ground strap from the motor to the frame but im not sure. HTH
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

You DID charge the battery per instructions BEFORE putting it into service, correct? If so, I would check ALL the connections. Start with the grounds, and DO NOT forget to pull the Reg/Rec and check the bottom side. I would then pull the headlight, and check the plug from the ignition switch. Look for signs of heating, clean things up, and use Dielectric Grease on ALL plugs.
      Last, if you say it IS charging correctly, is to check the brushes on the alternator. The XJ has them, the rest of the XS models do not.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I did recently replace the alternator brushes. It has to be running at least 2,500 rpms to be charging, but I'm told that's normal. The dealer said that he had the battery all prepped and ready to go when he sold it to me. There's got to be a drain going on somewhere. I could be the whole riding season trying to track it down, so I guess I'd better get started.

Comment

I would STILL go back and ask the MECHANIC at the dealer, see if HE put it on the charger...
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Batteries can be killed by over charging as well as under charging. Check to confirm that the voltage regulator is indeed shunting extra voltage to ground at right around 14 volts.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

after riding the bike, take the ground cable off, let it set overnight, hook it up the next day, if it starts the battery is fine, if not the battery is bad, then it would have to be the bike. Later 'Dog

Comment

Also, a worn ignition switch can drain a battery double quick.

Comment

forgot how , but I think you unhook the ground cable and put an ammeter or test light between the ground cable and ground battery terminal....
                  With everything powered off ...it will show drain if lit ...

I was wondering about leaving the battery in and charging it up
                  over the winter . the battery did not hold a charge long at all..
                  A cheap bat ...so might get a better one ..
                  Bob
                  1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                  1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                    Batteries can be killed by over charging as well as under charging. Check to confirm that the voltage regulator is indeed shunting extra voltage to ground at right around 14 volts.
                    Rob
                    The float charger I'm using takes it up to 14.9 then keeps it there, so I'm assuming that's working correctly, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by scalded dog
                      after riding the bike, take the ground cable off, let it set overnight, hook it up the next day, if it starts the battery is fine, if not the battery is bad, then it would have to be the bike. Later 'Dog
                      I'm thinking I'm going to remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it and let it sit overnight. If it's still fine the next day, then it can't be a problem with the battery and the problem is somewhere in the bike.

Comment

Must be something in the water...

After putting my bike back together I find the battery will not hold a charge. Last night, I was riding the 20 miles home when the headlight went yellow, the tach dropped to zero, and 5 miles later it backfired a few times and died on the side of the road. Had SWMBO get out of bed at 12:30am, and come jump it with the van, then I put my battery jumper pack on it and rode home that way. My guess was a drain on the system, but now am thinking no charging from the generator. gonna go out and hook up a voltmeter and see what gives.

On another note...using the tips gleaned from this site, I successfully pulled my clutch, cleaned it up, replaced it, and put a new cable on. She's as smooth as silk and i actually enjoy clutching her now. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
                        "Rat Rod"
                        79 XS1100 Standard
                        87 VMAX cans
                        Cheap Japanese Tires
                        Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                        Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                        Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Voltmeter was fubar when I took it out of my tool box...apparently one of the kids found it and tried to plug it into the wall. That explains the glowing eyes and wild hair.

Went through the wiring and discovered my ground cable from the battery was corroded and decayed to the point that it broke apart when I moved it. Installed a new end and put it back on, unplugged the wires that feed the aux power connection on the fuse block. Fired it up and checked to see if the lights brightened with revs. In the daylight it was hard to tell but everything looked bright. They seemed to get brighter with revs, but I'll know more later on when it gets dark out. I keep a trickle charger at work so I can plug it in while Im working, so SWMBO might not have to come get me again at 12:30 or 1am.

Other than that, the bike's running awesome with the VMAX cans. It has minor leaks up front where I butchered the head holes beyond repair. Am planning a head job and gasket set nxt winter so I'll be riding it this season with leaks and all. She isn't perfect by any standards, but she's mine and I love her.
                          "Rat Rod"
                          79 XS1100 Standard
                          87 VMAX cans
                          Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

As strange as it may seem, it really looks as though it was just another bad battery. After not being able to find anything obviously wrong with the electrical system, I bought another battery. Really steamed my clams, since I replaced the battery just 6 months ago. Then I laid out $80.00 to get the OEM Yausa, so that I would have the correct battery, made specifically for that bike. This time, I went to an auto parts store and bought a battery for $45.00. It's the same thing, except that it lacks the sensing unit, which I don't care about anyway. The bike is running great and the battery is holding a charge. Apparently motorcycle batteries just aren't expected to last very long. That's why they only come with a 90 day warranty.

Comment

am thinking my battery is also a goner...nothing else seems to make sense. Will replace it when funds allow. Till then, I ride charger to charger
                              "Rat Rod"
                              79 XS1100 Standard
                              87 VMAX cans
                              Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Working...
                              X