Pressure plate fracture/break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure plate fracture/break

Well, I recently decided to change friction plates/springs in my 79 standard. I got the basket apart and new frictions in and then began to tighten the springs on the plate. I torqued them down to 7 pounds. Once done, I could not believe how far the springs were compressed. I put the cover back on and tried to move the arm on the outside of the case. It would not budge. I then took the case back off and figured I did not have the basket in place correctly. I started to let pressure off the pressure plate and realized that one of the fingers was completely broken off. I backed off the rest and looked at the pressure plate. There were a series of fractures throughout the plate. I feel that the springs had closer to 17 pounds rather than 7. I know that my torque wrench is dead on.

Is there a better way to torque them down. I started on the top and worked my way around the plate putting a half to three quarters of a turn with a nut driver until I started the torque wrench. I also made sure that the springs were on the little ledge on the basket and not bound up crooked in any way shape or form.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is a pressure plate on an fj the same as a standard. I looked online and there is a slight difference in price. the fj is a bit cheaper. If anyone has a spare pressure plate they are looking to get rid of I would be sure to take it off your hands!

I also made sure that the springs were on the little ledge on the basket

Not quite sure what you mean by this?? If you mean the little ledges on the arms of the star plate, the springs go to the inside of these lips.

This star pressure plate is the same part number for all the bikes. You might PM andreashweiss. He's a member here and will usually have this type of part for sale pretty reasonable.

Tod
    Last edited by trbig; 04-15-2008, 06:08 AM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Have pressure plates. Let me know what you need,
      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

I've also got extra parts if Dsxs11 doesn't have what you need. Also not sure where your at in MI but maybe I'm closer for pickup?
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
        X