Speedo Clutch problem at the axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Clutch problem at the axle

I decided to pull the tire this weekend and try to reset the clutch meter that drives the speedo clutch. What I found was that when the tire was on it's side and the speedo clutch was on it I could turn it by hand and hear the click of tangs catching the clutch and see the little part where the speedo cable inserts turning. When I stood the wheel upright and turned it a few times the clicking would go away and the part where the speedo cable inserts would stop turning. I took the assembly off the hub and shook it in my hand and can see where the internal parts are sliding back and forth just enough so that when it's upright it tends to back off the clutch meter. Took it for a test ride and the speedo was all over the place and catching at times. Is there an internal spring or something underneath the gear in that assembly that keeps it pushed onto the clutch meter? I know on my special there isn't anything between the fork and the speedo gear. You're just supposed to line it up with the slot and be done with it.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

One thing I saw looking at the parts page, the STANDARD has the axle nut on the Right fork tube, the special has it on the Left.
    The part with the "tangs" rides between that and the drive system, and is all kept together with the axle and the bearing.
    With the special, you WILL NEED to tighten the axle nut AND THEN the pinch bolt, or the spacing WILL BE WRONG on the drive gear. If you have done that, try and get a "new" unit from andreas. All I have are "standard" parts, and I'm not positive they will work.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Shack

Have you tried to bend the tangs of the speedo clutch back into position? I kinda flattened mine once by not having the tangs and the slots in drive lined up. I just removed it from the wheel and reshaped it.

Comment

Speedo drive gear units are specific to std or special, yes I have a couple of good used ones, send me a pm if you need one. andreas

Comment

Working...
        X