Tank cleaning idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank cleaning idea

I heard this on another site and it sounds like a good idea to me. Obviously the petcocks should be removed and blocked off. You get a carton of BB's and poor them in. Then wrap the tank in blankets. Put it in the cloths dryer so it is pretty well certered and pack in more blanket/towls so the it won't mover around. Then turn the dryer on the 'no heat' setting and let it go. I haven't tryed it, but I like the idea for a really nasty tank.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

I saw it on chopperfix.com.
    A member on there did it, but with nuts, bolts, and washers. He said it worked great. Said he put it in for about 30 minutes and a bunch of dust powder poured out. I just so happen to have an old dryer in my garage. Next ugly tank I get gonna definetly give it a try.
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

I sure wouldn't use bb's. Use some wood screws. You'll find that it is a lot easier putting them in than getting them back out. I cleaned a tank several months ago, and put a whole handfull of woodscrews in the tank. I poured in some laquer thinner and sloshed the whole thing around by hand (no dryer needed). When the sloshing was over I turned the tank upside down and not one screw fell out. I wound up fishing them out via the fuel guage port with a magnet.

Unless I'm mistaken, bbs are made out of copper, and therefore not magnetic. Also, you want the rough edges of a screw so they will knock the loose rust off the inside of the tank.

After you get them out slosh some acetone around in the tank to get rid of the laquer thinner, let it dry and you'll be ready to coat.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Should have put this in the previous post

If you do plan to coat the tank, make sure you put bolts in all the holes (fuel tank level gauge and petcocks) especially if you use the Caswell Plating stuff - it sets-up like iron. First tank I did I broke a tap off in one of the holes and wound up scrapping the tank. The second one I took to a radiator shop and had them do the whole job - $125 and well worth it.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

tank cleaning

hey jessie after you get through the bb's ,screws ,nuts or what ever stage go to page 3 i posted tank cleaning? and i used bud manly's post of electrolisys just finished mine this morning worked like a charm tank looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          dick

Comment

Nearly did that to my cat, fortunately heard her purring before starting dryer.
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

brokenarrow - I like your electolysis idea a lot better than mine. Where were you when I was doing my tank?!

Comment

Hey broke arrow, see THIS electrolysis link.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I did the electrolysis as well. turned out allright, my battery charger was a newer type that senses the batery, so it wouldnt work by itself. Had to hook up a battery in paralell with the tank. Left it outside on a summerday and went to work. that evening apparently there was a small explosion and the plug had blown out of the tank. So if you do this method, make sure there is a breather for the gas created to blow off.
                  Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

"Explosion from pressure build up..."

... which is better than the other type.
                    Remember that you're separating water molecules...
                    Those little bubbles you see are hydrogen and oxygen.
                    (Too early in the morning for me to recall which comes from which anode)
                    Same as smoking/flames around a charging/discharging battery or sparks caused when using jumper cables... exercise some caution.
                    Unplug the battery charger before removing the electrodes.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

You mean anode or cathode, right? not WHICH anode?
                      SO the tank acts as one or the other. And the clothes hanger is the opposite
                      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Working...
                      X