electric prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i will try that tomarrow.

but shouldnt the new reg/rec be taken care of that? if i bypass the reg/rec and i get regular voltage, that means the new rec/reg is bad also???
    im not understanding what this test will mean.
    79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

I just reread the entire thread and something has to have been over looked somewhere.

It is possible to get magnetism at the case and the field coil to be bad. Sometimes they only short out part of the windings. What was the resistance reading off the green and brown wires from the alternator side of the engine.

One other thing that may have been over looked was when you were testing the white wires from the stator, did you check to see if any of them had continuity to ground?

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

do you mean the ohms reading for the brown and green together?? if so i dont know ill have to check.

how do you check the continuity to ground for the white wires?? the only thing i check was the ohms between the three.

Comment

testing alt

Field coil resistance between green & brown wires should be 3.5 ohms + or - 10%.

Stator coil resistance - check each white wire against the other 2 whites - 0.4 ohms + or - 10%.

The test I mentioned earlier disables just the regulator but not the rectifier. It will also tell yor if the alternator is charging or not.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

well ive been emailing geezer and with his help/test's. he found out that my stator is going bad.
            so off to ebay to find one cheap if the local salvage yard doesnt.

Comment

Working...
            X