No announcement yet.

electric prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i checked every thing on the bike exept for cuting open the whole wiring harness. recleaned all the conecters with my dremel, found 2 cracked wires but no shorts. everything works exept my tach, it still wont work at idle but kicks in when i give it any gas.

i used my multimeter to check the battery when the bike is off its 12.4, running its 11.8v at idle and 12.5 at 5000rpms. switch to other regulator and got the same readings. i got these readings at the battery posts. is there someother place i should check them??
    79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

checked the alt. following the tech tips.
      with the switch on my screw driver sticks to the alt. side case.

i checked my meter by sticking the prongs together and get a .5 at the 200ohms setting. so know my meter is off .5ohms.

checking all the white wires with each other i get .8-.9ohms. so if i take off the .5 diff. they should be .3-.4ohms. right??

green and brown wire together is 4.2ohms. taking off the .5 should be 3.7ohms. right??

switch on- brown wire to ground is 11.8v
      - green is 1.3v

bike running- green wire go's up to 5v thens start droping the higher the rpms go.

im gonna put back on the other regulater and ill let you know what the brown and green wire reading are.

Comment

It should be a bit higher at 5Krpms. More like 13.5v to 14.5v I think. Yes, check it at the battery. The connector behind the fuse panel (xs11?) is where I have seen the most troubles with corrosion, arcing, etc. It would seem that you have a higher than normal resistance across one of the phases.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

put the other regulater on and the highest the green wire gets is 2.52 at 2000rpms, anything after that i goes down to .5v.
          according to the tech tips it should go up to 9-10v. right??
          i rechecked the battery volts and the highest it will go is 12.8v at redline.

so im thinking both my regulaters are bad??

btw the main fuse no longer gets hot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigb9582
            so im thinking both my regulaters are bad??

btw the main fuse no longer gets hot.
            It's possible. The best bet is to borrow a known good unit and see if that fixes the problem before buying a new one.

The main fuse doesn't get hot anymore because of all the work you did cleaning connections. If you coated them with dielectric grease, they won't be a problem in the foreseeable future.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

thats the problem, i dont know anyone anywere near me with a xs1100. i got the only 2 the junk yard had, 1 got really hot and started smoking, the other just gives me slighly diff. readings then my stock one.

so my faith is in your guys hands. from the readings i gave in one of my other posts. does my reg/rect sound bad??

Comment

The one that is smoking sure sounds bad.

Where are you? Maybe some one in the group can help.

Tony
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

bigb9582;

Where are you? I'm in Stroudsburg, PA

Comment

i live in fayetteville pa. 17222.

Comment

well since i cant find any closeby to try, i just went ahead and ordered one from oregon motorcycle parts. so hopefully this will fix my problems, if not i hear his rec/reg is way better then stock anyway.

Comment

my .02 cents

When my regulator went bad, I pretty much had the same problem. No tach until over 2000 RPM. What I did is tap into the green wire coming from the alt. (field coil?). That bypassed the reg. and the tach worked fine. System was pushing about 16.5 volts, believe it or not, I ran it that way for over a year with no damage other than overcharging the battery (constant refilling). Now I have an ebay regulator and everything is fine. This is on a '79 F.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

forgot somthing

Forgot to add "Tapped into green wire and grounded to frame"
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

yeah! thats good to know. i hope this will fix my problem also.

Comment

well i put on a new reg/rec. from oregon motorcycle and that did not help!! still only 11.8v at idle and 12.6v at 5000rpm. tach still doesnt work at idle same with headlight.
                              recleaned all my grounds and whatnot. took my alt apart and cleaned any rust off it. with no help.

so now what? alt shot?

Comment

not charging

Ok, try this test. First, put old regulator back on bike, (don't want to fry the new one). Then find the thin green wire coming from the alt. (should be in a seperate loom with another wire). Tap into this wire without disconecting it and hook it to a good ground on the frame. This should increase the alt. voltage. Check the voltage now at idle and at 2500 RPM and see what you got.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X