cylinder studs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder studs.

I am currently installing some new crankcase studs (the ones for the cylinder and head) into my xs1100 crankcase. Does
    anyone know what the torque spec is for installing the stud into the crankcase? Also the machine shop that did the valve job on the head removed the camshaft cap studs. Does anyone know the torque specs for re installing these studs back into the head? Any information would be great
    thanks
    Leo
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1197cc Wiseco kit
    1978 cams
    4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
    Keihin CR33 mm carbs
    K&N individual pod filters
    TKAT fork brace

I've never seen a torque spec for inserting the studs, probably because most people would never mess around with removing them. The torque spec comes into play when installing the nuts. What I would do, is give them a dab of medium strength loctite, then spin them in until they are lightly seated.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Leo,

Well, I've been searching the shop manuals, and I can't find any values for the STUDS, just the actual nuts for them.

The cam cap nuts are 7.2 ft/lbs. The head nuts that attach to the studs are ~25 ft/lbs in 2 steps.

The head as well as the crankcase are aluminum, where as the studs are steel, so they can strip out the holes if tightened too much. However, the torque is applied to the nuts that are put ON the studs. I would think that making sure the stud hole threads are clean as well as the studs, and then apply locktite, and then screw them in till the easily seat or bottom out or run out of thread, but I don't think they require much torque. The nuts securing to them will be doing all of the turning when tightening/torquing down the parts that are held by them, the studs shouldn't be turning!

Perhaps some REAL mechanics like Prom, DiverRay, Gnepig will chime in with their words of wisdom!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks Ken and TC for your responses. Yeah, I understand that most people would not want to fool around with these studs. But the front ones were pretty corroded, and I happened to find some new ones, so I took the old ones out. My concern is that if I put them in too tight, there is the stripping issue with the aluminum. And if too loose, that the stud might back out instead of the acorn nut loosening first, if I have to remove the head in the future. I've looked everywhere and can't find any info on the torque required. I would imagine any Japanese bike with 10mm cylinder studs would be pretty close, if anyone has other bike info.
        Leo
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1197cc Wiseco kit
        1978 cams
        Keihin CR33 mm carbs
        TKAT fork brace

Comment

a 3/8" grade 8 bolt with oil...general torque is around 45 foot pounds. (steel into steel)

ones I changed in an 79H XS did not torque
          but bet was at least 25 foot pounds.
          that was a couple years ago and have not got any complaints.

mro
          BTW, no locktight, gust cleaned em on a wire wheel, couple drops of oil and installed em. I do torque everything...even a valve cover if I have a spec for it. Other wise just do what "feels" right.

Comment

Not to be contrary with anyone but I think some non-permmanant Locktite type threadlocker is called for here and then tighten the studs to 25 +/- lbs/ft onto the case. Just my thought.

I think this only because it would be a pain if you have to remove the head and the acorn nut is tighter to the stud than the stud is into the case. Then the stud will want to come out with the acorn nut instead of staying in the case...right?
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Not to be contrary

Was not saying what I've done was the "right" way...just what I did at the time. Little lock tight wouldn't hurt, then again did not notice any on the threads when I took em out. Was a PITA getting the cylinders off that one, had engine sitting on the bench.
              Will not try that again...then again will have to one more time as I have a low mileage engine bolted to the engine stand. One year closer to getting that project started

mro

Comment

cylinder studs

After much research, the APE website recommends 12ft/lbs of torque with oiled threads for 10mm cylinder studs.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1197cc Wiseco kit
                1978 cams
                Keihin CR33 mm carbs
                TKAT fork brace

Comment

Working...
                X